    when you don't have wifi access. You need to have
    cellular data enabled to do that.

    You don't with the dedicated GPS mappers, or with Nokia Drive either.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013

  2. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    because it makes it easier to submit corrections, so more people will
    actually do that, which makes the product better, thereby attracting
    more potential buyers.

    Guest, May 20, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    yes i can, and i have.
    only within the country they cover.

    if you buy the usa version and venture into canada, for instance,
    you're screwed. if you buy the north america version and then go to
    europe, you're screwed.

    Guest, May 20, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    Fred Moore Guest

    Absolutely right. And any and all servers up to and including the
    recipient's has copies of everything we might email. If the recipient is
    a gmail user, I can't stop Google from parsing, collating, slicing,
    dicing, and selling anything I write WITHOUT my consent. THAT'S what
    alarms/angers me.

    Fortunately, my email ISP and most of the intervening servers are not in
    the datamining business. I happen to know the owner/sysop of my email
    provider personally. He has consulted with numerous heavyweights,
    including the FBI, on computer security. He takes it VERY seriously. The
    only time he ever looks at a client's email is when it's directly work
    related. At least he'd one, of very many potential data leaks, I DON'T
    have to worry about.
    Along this line, a Windows friend of mine and I have toyed with the idea
    of exploring the current state of email encryption using the free
    PGP/GPG Tools opensource software. We've both been dragging our feet
    because we got busy at varying times. If anyone out there would be
    interested in participating, let me know. The goal is to see just how
    viable email encryption, both between Macs and cross-platform, really
    is, how easy it is to make it work, what are the gotchas, how could it
    be made better, and how it could be made the standard for all users.

    One significant, but not insurmountable, gotcha at the moment is that
    the 10.8 client software is still under development (can't remember if
    it's graduated from alpha to beta yet).

    Fred Moore, May 20, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    I submitted the information directly to Google, using their contact link.
    I informed them of the error. It's not up to me to make the corrections
    myself; I'm not in their employ.

    BTW, when was Google Map Maker made available to the public, and how does
    one access it?[/QUOTE]

    It shows up as a popup in maps.google

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    I was being sarcastic; it's a direct comment on Davoud's saying that
    Apple's failure to incorporate his corrections to Apple's maps is evidence
    of Apple's decline and incompetence.

    I have Google Maps on my iPhone, but I rarely, if ever, use it because for
    my purposes and locations, Apple's maps have been error free, and
    integrated with all the other apps I use that link to map data.[/QUOTE]

    Yeah, that last is the big advantage with it IMO.

    Very convenient to just tap on the street address in a contact
    and have the map show up and route to that address etc.

    I do prefer the google approach of showing the individual
    house block boundarys and street numbers and the street
    view tho.

    You should be able to specify which mapper you want
    to handle the map links.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  7. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    That’s arguably still the corporate state with androids.

    It clearly is with iOS too even given what it runs on.
    He never was the most rational person around.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    That's very arguable indeed compared with
    say an ipad at the location to do that.
    I think it makes much more sense to make it
    easy to do that with an ipad or iphone instead.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  9. Alan Browne

    Warren Oates Guest

    It's still Bell Mail. Our address is and we access it
    via POP servers (and outbound smptp servers) or via the web at
    Sympatico (although, yeah, it claims to be a Microsoft thing) and for
    years the oul' Woman wouldn't change providers because she wanted her
    email address to stay the same. We don't have a email
    address; we don't have an address.

    Warren Oates, May 20, 2013
  10. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Then spell out how to do that.
    They all cover most of the places people want to do that.
    Yes, you obviously need the maps that cover where you
    plan to do that, but that doesn't cost a cent with Nokia.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  11. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nothing to stop you encrypting any email you don’t
    want anyone but the recipient to be able to read.
    But its impossible to be sure that what he says is accurate.
    You do actually.
    Its all been done already. Its very easy.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    D.F. Manno Guest

    IOW, it won't.

    D.F. Manno, May 20, 2013
  13. Alan Browne

    billy Guest

    In comp.sys.mac.system Rod Speed <>
    Yes, if one wants to argue, context matters.
    Billy Y..

    billy, May 21, 2013
  14. Alan Browne

    Erilar Guest

    With a neolithic iPad, I don't have to choose :cool:

    Erilar, May 21, 2013
  15. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    load the area you want. the maps are cached on the device.
    except you have to buy each country that you want to have maps. that
    gets expensive.

    Guest, May 21, 2013
  16. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    if it's on the mac (or pc), there's no need to go anywhere to submit
    corrections.

    someone could confirm a lot of roads from their couch.
    it's not either/or. do both.

    Guest, May 21, 2013
  17. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    It complains that it can't see the server when you try to route
    to another destination after you have arrived at the one that
    has no wifi access.
    No, you can steal the extra maps you don't have.
    Not if you steal them.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  18. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yes, but you are likely to be where the correction is
    needed when you notice that a correction is needed,
    so it makes a lot of sense to do the correction there.

    And you can take a photo to demonstrate the problem too.
    There shouldn't be a need for a lot of corrections.
    Never said it was.
    Its easy to see why that other approach comes later.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  19. Alan Browne

    Chris Blunt Guest

    Because I choose to. Its like any other crowd-sourcing method of
    developing something useful, like Wikipedia, for example. I contribute
    myself, others provide their input, and we end up with something that
    we can all benefit from.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, May 21, 2013
  20. Alan Browne

    Chris Blunt Guest

    I submitted the information directly to Google, using their contact link.
    I informed them of the error. It's not up to me to make the corrections
    myself; I'm not in their employ.

    BTW, when was Google Map Maker made available to the public, and how does
    one access it?[/QUOTE]

    I don't know when it was first made available, but I've been using it
    for many years.

    http://www.google.com/mapmaker

    Unless its a very simple correction, I don't know how you can
    effectively report map errors without a tool similar to Map Maker. You
    need to be able mark on a map yourself to clearly explain what needs
    correcting. It would be difficult to do this using words alone.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, May 21, 2013