  1. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    No, you can use the GPS coords.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013

  2. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    Maps aren't abut selling machines, it is about selling advertising on
    the maps. And making Apple's maps available on the web would greatly
    increase not only use/viewership of ads, but also hep people submit
    error reports.

    Limiting apple's below-par maps to IOS will not help build the mapping
    system to par with others.

    JF Mezei, May 21, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    This is not in contradiction with anything I said above.[/QUOTE]

    It contradicts your "three way relation". When you use the various
    services that allow it on Google w/o an account it is an anonymous (you)
    relationship with Google. (See my reply to Davoud earlier today).

    Alan Browne, May 21, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    I think it is for Apple.
    I doubt that it is for Apple except as a minor factor.
    Not when they don't have any ads.
    Dunno, I would expect that those who do choose to do
    that would mostly do that using their ipad or iphone.
    Yes, but there are other ways to fix
    the problem with the below par maps.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    only if the destination is outside the area cached. if it's within the
    area, it works just fine. again, i've done this.

    and if there's wifi at the destination, you can cache new maps. i've
    done this too.
    only if you have no ethics or morals.

    Guest, May 21, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Don't believe that. When its trying to check the server
    for the new destination, it doesn't only check for
    destinations that are outside the area cached.
    I don't believe that you have.
    Bet there has in fact been wifi at the destination
    and you haven't noticed that there was.
    Or you decide that they are ripping you off
    and that you have already paid for the maps
    you should have got with the GPS when others
    like Nokia, Apple and Google have them for free.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  7. Alan Browne

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Rod Speed:
    Is that the Linux that has 1.21% of the desktop market? The same Linux
    that can't run Adobe or Microsoft software? That can't do pro video or
    audio? I know that it's great for what it does, but for the average
    user it just doesn't do much.

    And the corporate state has nothing to do with Linux. Too insignificant
    to be on the radar screen.
    Which alternate universe do you live in?

    "Google admits sensitive email accounts have been hacked." Jun 2, 2011
    "Google¹s Chrome browser has finally been hacked" May 9, 2011
    "Google Glass HACKED to transmit everything you see and hear..." May 2,
    2013
    "Google Wallet Hacked Again" Feb 9, 2012
    "Google Apps has been hacked.: Jun 3, 2012

    Davoud, May 21, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    i'll believe what i've experienced. i've done it on more than one
    occasion.

    when apple introduced their maps last year, they said it caches a much
    wider area than google does.
    wrong. i've done it, on more than one occasion.
    of course you don't. anything that says you're wrong must not be true.
    there was definitely wifi, and i did notice, because the device had no
    active cellular data at the time. the *only* way it could get map data
    was over wifi.
    if you think they're ripping you off, then don't buy the product.

    that's not an excuse to steal it.

    you're a thief.

    Guest, May 21, 2013
  9. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    It completely dominates the non desktop/laptop market.

    And clearly those who choose to use it are NOT
    ruled by the the corporate state when they choose
    to use what is not from the corporate state.
    But can run something else that does the same thing.
    Presumably those who use it don't want to do that.
    Irrelevant to whether we are in fact ruled by the corporate state.
    That's just plain wrong, most obviously with Apple and Google.
    That's just plain wrong, most obviously with Apple and Google.
    We'll see...
    Didn't have FULL IDENTIFYING DATA.
    Didn't provide FULL IDENTIFYING DATA.
    Doesn't provide FULL IDENTIFYING DATA.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  10. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Me too, just days ago in fact.
    Don't believe that.
    Irrelevant to what it needs to do server wise when
    you search for a NEW destination where wifi is not
    available.
    Don't believe it.
    Because it didn't work when I tried it, it complained
    that it couldn't see the server because the cellular
    data is turned off.
    So you arent even talking about the situation I was
    discussing, WHETHER IT CAN ROUTE TO A NEW
    DESTINATION WHERE THERE IS NO WIFI AVAILABLE.
    So you arent even talking about the situation I was
    discussing, WHETHER IT CAN ROUTE TO A NEW
    DESTINATION WHERE THERE IS NO WIFI AVAILABLE.
    Or buy the product and get additional maps for free.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  11. Alan Browne

    Sandman Guest

    It contradicts your "three way relation".[/QUOTE]

    Not at all. My "three way relation" was in the context of you being
    logged in to Google Maps, at which point it is inevitable. The fact
    that you can log out or choose not to even have a Google account was
    not part of anything I wrote. I wrote specifically about this three
    way relationship.

    Sandman, May 21, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    there isn't anything else that does the same thing.

    anyone who claims the gimp is a photoshop clone hasn't any clue what
    photoshop can do. even photoshop elements does more than the gimp. the
    gimp also much slower than photoshop.

    openoffice and other office clones are not fully compatible with
    microsoft office either. documents that are complex will often not
    display properly in openoffice (tables is a common case) and good luck
    if you make a change.

    Guest, May 21, 2013
  13. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    then you did it wrong.

    Guest, May 21, 2013
  14. Alan Browne

    AV3 Guest

    I think you are unfair to so characterize Linux. Although I am only
    familiar with Ubuntu, my understanding is that most, though not all,
    Linux flavors insist on using open software. Proprietary manufacturers
    of hardware and software like Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft don't make
    Linux versions that won't pay fees or remit payments. So there are no
    iTunes or Photoshop or Office for Linux.

    It's not that Linux "can't run" that software, it's the creators of that
    software that understandably won't make a non-paying Linux version.
    There are Linux programs that can read, display and create products
    appropriately formatted for "foreign" software: Open-Libre Office, the
    Gimp, etc.

    My interpretation is that the corporate state understandably doesn't
    want to support non-paying Linux and that it quite actively wants to
    strangle the open software movement.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <> ||

    AV3, May 21, 2013
  15. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    This is not correct. You can run commercial software on Linux. Oracle
    sells its expensive database software on it for instance.

    Where there are restrictions in in (for instance) Oracle using Linux
    source code to embed into its commercial product and selling it on any
    platform.

    But running your own app (wether commercial or open source) has no
    restructions on Linux or any other OS.

    JF Mezei, May 21, 2013
  16. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 21, 2013
  17. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bullshit with MS software.
    They still do the same thing.
    They still do the same thing when you
    use either of them for the same work.

    And the Apple incarnation of Linux runs MS software fine anyway.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  18. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not even possible to do it wrong.

    You have the cellular data turned off,
    you type in the new destination in the
    search box, you see it tell you that it
    can't see its server because cellular
    data is turned off and offers to let
    you turn it on.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  19. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 21, 2013
  20. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    the reason there's no itunes, photoshop or office is because there's no
    return on investment to develop and market it. too few linux users
    would buy it to make it worthwhile.
    it definitely is.

    itunes, photoshop and office do not run on linux.
    why would anyone make a non-paying version of paid software?
    they don't do anywhere near what the real thing can do.
    that would be wrong.

    Guest, May 21, 2013