    See above.
    Never said anything about any replacement.

    The comment was JUST about OPEN SOFTWARE.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013

  2. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wrong, as always.
    No one ever said everything does.
    For many users it does not matter, for some it does.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013

  3. Alan Browne

    Rod Speed Guest

    Something most don't do.
    We'll see...
    Wrong, as always.

    Rod Speed, May 21, 2013
  4. Alan Browne

    Larry Gusaas Guest

    You do not have a clue. iOS, as well OS X, have nothing to do with Linux. You have proven you
    are a complete idiot. You obviously know nothing about the history of the development of OS X
    and iOS. Perhaps when you enter grade five you will be taught how to do some basic research.
    Until then, goodbye.

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

    Larry Gusaas, May 21, 2013
  5. Alan Browne

    Warren Oates Guest

    Wrong, as always.[/QUOTE]

    I'd be interested in knowing what you think OS X has to do with Linux
    myself. OS X was based on the Mach kernel, on FreeBSD and NetBSD, on
    NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, and had, you know, nothing to do with Linux.
    Except Torvalds had an OS X machine at one time that he liked. Is that
    what you mean?

    Warren Oates, May 21, 2013
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    $9B annually based on the last quarterly report ($4.5B for last 2 quarters).

    Include software and services and the "iTunes Store" is 15.6B / yr
    (based on last 2 quarters).

    What's "incidental" about that?

    Alan Browne, May 21, 2013
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    OS X is not Linux.

    Alan Browne, May 21, 2013
  8. Alan Browne

    Warren Oates Guest

    You must be fun to live with.

    What would you like for dinner Rod?
    As long as it doesn't taste like shit.
    My meals don't taste like shit.
    No one ever said that they did.
    You inferred that they did.
    Wrong as always. Beer me.

    And so on. I don't mean to imply that you're an asshole.

    Warren Oates, May 21, 2013
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Nope.

    Alan Browne, May 21, 2013
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Really? Care to enlighten me, Rod? I've been looking around and haven't
    found anything widely used, which one's grandmother could use, and free
    is certainly a bonus. What software were you thinking of? Thanks for the
    help.[/QUOTE]

    I've been using various free PGP based e-mail and doc encryption
    packages for over 10 years.

    Current one (OS 10.8 compatible).

    https://gpgtools.org/gpgmail/index.html
    https://gpgtools.org/

    While your grandmother might struggle with key gen, after that it's very
    straightforward easy. When sending an e-mail just turn on the lock.
    (She has to have the public key for the destinee in her chain, but
    that's not too hard to set up - just mail her the public key and sign it).

    Same toolkit allows for encrypting pretty much any file.

    Alan Browne, May 21, 2013
  11. Alan Browne

    AV3 Guest

    That's what I said. Thanks for repeating it. Now it is even more
    understandable.

    But there are loyal Linux software geeks who make work-around software,
    like the Gimp, Libre Office, and media players. i freely admit these are
    less robust, but fill the needs of many.

    That is what I mean by running the software through equivalents,
    although I agree the Linux equivalents are less robust than the
    commercial products. It depends on how demanding your needs are. I have
    used Open/Libre Office to submit Excel-formatted documents to tax
    accountants on my personal behalf and on behalf of the co-op I serve as
    treasurer. I have never had a problem. But almost all Ubuntu users I
    know of double boot to take advantage of other OS's where necessary,
    like syncing their iToys.

    That would be a matter of opinion.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <> ||

    AV3, May 21, 2013
  12. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    While differently implemented, both have roots in the original Unix and
    share many concepts common with Unix.

    JF Mezei, May 21, 2013
  13. Alan Browne

    Savageduck Guest

    OSX is what Linux would like to be when it grows up.

    It seems "Rod" is missing what it is OSX is actually based on, and
    resultantly blowing his argument.

    Savageduck, May 21, 2013
  14. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The OS is Android based on Linux.

    Java is a _language_ not an OS. (And is not the sole means to run an
    app on Android - probably the preferred one).

    Alan Browne, May 21, 2013
  15. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Not at all. My "three way relation" was in the context of you being
    logged in to Google Maps, at which point it is inevitable. The fact
    that you can log out or choose not to even have a Google account was
    not part of anything I wrote. I wrote specifically about this three
    way relationship.[/QUOTE]

    Fair enough. I see now it was in the context of the preceeding para.

    Alan Browne, May 22, 2013
  16. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    HEY! That's MY line!
    And the odd gasket.

    Alan Browne, May 22, 2013
  17. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    On iOS? No, they do not.

    Lewis, May 22, 2013
  18. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 22, 2013
  19. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 22, 2013
  20. Alan Browne

    D.F. Manno Guest

    "Incidental" does not necessarily mean "small."

    D.F. Manno, May 22, 2013