    use an EIDE motherboard. I understand it might underperform, but as
    long as it works, then Im not too fussed!

    Thanks!

    Andre, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Andre

    Peter D. Guest

    for your mother board, as long as the drive supports IDE or EIDE interfaces
    you are good to go

    hth, me!

    Peter D., Feb 25, 2004

  3. Andre

    DaveW Guest

    You will have to buy a very small capacity harddrive to work with that older
    BIOS of your motherboard. (You MIGHT get a 20GB drive to work; I'm not
    sure.)

    DaveW, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Andre

    Andre Guest

    So you are saying it wont work??? The person before you says it will
    work; why do you say different things?? Please help! I dont know
    whedhthetr to buy the hd or not!

    Andre, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Andre

    Peter D. Guest

    you can most likely get it to work since the drive seems to support IDE
    interface

    however, to follow up on DaveW's point, the bios may not be able to
    recognize the whole capacity of your drive, if it's too large.

    to find out for sure, you would need to actuually test it and hope that the
    manufacturer's
    diskette that comes with the drive (it should come with the drive) may
    help your
    system see the whole capacity. again this is only needed if your own
    bios
    will not recognize the drive's capacity properly

    Peter D., Feb 26, 2004
  6. Andre

    Tim Davis Guest

    A bios prior to 1998 probably won't support a hard drive larger than
    8Gb. Newer one will support 32Gb and the latest ones support 139Gb.
    The best way to avoid any problems is to get yourself an ATA133
    controller card. If your motherboard supports booting from a SCSI card
    then you shouldn't have any problems. Use the software that comes with
    the hard drive.

    I had a similar problem when I bought a Maxtor 200Gb HD. It came with
    a ATA133 controller. I used the Maxblast software to copy a 60Gb HD to
    my 200Gb. I booted off the controller and haven't had any probs since

    Tim Davis, Mar 1, 2004