New Hard Drive for 6640c--Which one can I install

Discussion in 'HP' started by Joe, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hi

    My hard drive died in my HP Pavilion 6640c. Can anyone tell me what
    type of HD can I install. Does it have to be a proprietary HP HD or
    can I install a generic one like Maxtor or Western Digital. Also will
    the restore CD that came with the Pavilion. I understand that HP
    assigns a serial number on the original HD that has to be matched with
    the restore DC.

    Thanks

    Joe

    Please remove the spam busting $ in my
    e mail address to reply via e mail..Thanks

    Joe, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Joe

    chuckie® Guest

    There is the infamous 'tattoo' question. Some here say that it is entirely resident in the
    CMOS/BIOS area and others say that it also resides on the HDD. As far as the type of HDD, that is
    entirely up to you, although I would lean toward the Maxtor. I have, and have had several WD's and
    have had no problems with them, but I'm told that Maxtor is better in the customer service area on
    the off chance that you get a bad one.
    I would try the Recovery CD's after installation, if they don't work, you will need to get the
    'tattoo' reinstalled. Any reputable HP dealer/repair facility can do this for a nominal
    fee...luck...

    chuckie®, Jul 9, 2003