New HDD on 8300 jumper settings - need help.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by me again, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. me again

    me again Guest

    I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
    which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.

    The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
    installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the motherboard
    and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the jumper set on the
    first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I set the jumper on the
    250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5 possible locations. Tried
    changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but couldn't get the system to
    recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper to the 1st position ( ::::| )
    and I was able to get the drive partitioned and formatted but now I was
    getting the Dell splash screen that stalled for a long time and then asked
    me to hit F1 to continue or F2 to go to set-up. I changed the settings for
    the hard drives to auto for SATA secondary drive and primary master and
    slave drives but they still came up as unknown. Also, the drive, though
    working, appears to have a slow access time.

    I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once again
    it can't be found by the system....sigh.

    Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?

    with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:

    SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
    Primary drive 1 not found
    the 250GB is accessible

    with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:

    SATA secondary drive 0 not found
    Primary drive 0 not found
    the 250GB is not accessible

    thanks in advance

    Joe

    me again, Mar 7, 2005

  2. me again

    Colin Wilson Guest

    I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
    No doubt someone with more knowledge will be along soon, but...

    Dell generally use CSEL (cable select) for their drives.

    If you have your two existing drives showing up as normal on the primary
    IDE without the new drive in, try setting up the new drive as CSEL on the
    second channel.

    There`s (if i`m not mistaken) a specific "order" you need to put newer
    drives on an IDE cable, and i`m not sure if this is different with CSEL.
    A normal drive set as "master" should go on the connector furthest away
    from the motherboard, the "slave" on the "middle" connector.

    Are you using a flat 80pin or "rounded" cable ?

    Colin Wilson, Mar 7, 2005

  3. me again

    WSZsr Guest

    You bought the incorrect hard drive. You should have purchased the SATA WD
    not the PATA WD.

    WSZsr, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Your original drive is a SATA drive since it uses the small blue cable.
    Put its jumper back to its original position. Set the jumper on
    your new IDE(a PATA drive) to the cable select position(see the
    instructions that came with that drive for which location this is).
    Connect the new drive to the end of the flat ribbon cable. You'v
    already formatted the drive so that should do it. Recheck in BIOS that
    both drives are set to auto. Go into device manager (control
    panel>system>hardware>device manager) and check the IDE Controllers>IDE
    Channels>advanced settings for both drives--should be use DMA if
    available and DMA mode X as current transfer mode. If this doesn't
    work, set the jumper on the new drive to master but still connect it to
    the end connector on the ribbon cable. For more help, go to the Dell
    Support forums--there is one for hard drive problems.

    Ken

    Kenneth J. Harris, Mar 7, 2005
  5. me again

    S.Lewis Guest

    The jumpers for both drives should be placed where they were originally.

    The (blue) SATA interface cable should be connected to the (blue) SATA 0
    connector on the motherboard.

    Boot to the system BIOS and press ALT+F to force drive detection at exit.
    Before pressing ESC to exit (and enter to save changes), check the 'boot
    devices' or 'boot order' in the BIOS. Your SATA (original 120gb) drive
    should be higher in the boot order than the IDE disk drive (if the new drive
    shows in the boot order at all). Otherwise, the system may not boot to
    Windows.

    I'm not sure why you chose to mix SATA (your original HDD) and IDE (your new
    HDD) interfaces. WSZsr is right. You'd have generally better off by buying
    a 2nd SATA hard disk and simply connected it to the SATA 2 connect on the
    mb....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 7, 2005
  6. me again

    Molly Guest

    Molly, Mar 7, 2005
  7. me again

    Pen Guest

    Your 250GBB should be set according to
    the below chart;
    if the only drive on the ribbon cable, no jumper
    if dual drives, if master, 3rd from left(pins 5-6).
    if dual drives, if slave(center connector), 4th from left(pins 3-4).
    or use cable select if the cable is 80 wire, 5th from left (pins 1-2).
    All of this is on the drive. Leave the SATA drive alone.
    Incidentally the first 2 positions are undefined. RTFM.

    Pen, Mar 7, 2005
  8. me again

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but the OP's drives are SATA, not IDE/ATAPI. A whole different ballgame.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 7, 2005
  9. me again

    me again Guest

    Actually I didn't intentionally mix the drives. I wanted a Western Digital
    250GB internal drive so I went to BB and picked one up. I'm not computer
    illiterate but I'm not an expert in all things either so I didn't know to
    look for SATA vs. EIDE. That's why I frequent these newsgroups. You guys and
    gals are really great. Anyway, after I opened the case I discovered the SATA
    drive and of course the manual from WD (Pen, I DO RTFM!!) didn't cover this
    situation.

    I'm going to try some of the suggestions and I'm sure I'll get it going.
    But, if I don't I'm going to take it back to BB. I checked their website and
    they don't carry an SATA 250GB WD drive. But Circuit City and Fry's both do.

    Thanks again for all the help.

    Joe

    me again, Mar 8, 2005
  10. me again

    me again Guest

    The 250GB drive uses the ribbon cable. The original drive has the rounded
    one. Apparently, my BEST choice would have been another SATA (rounded cable)
    drive but I am going to take all the knowledge I have been presented with to
    get my EIDE drive up and running correctly. Otherwise I will exchange it for
    an SATA drive.

    Joe

    me again, Mar 8, 2005
  11. me again

    me again Guest

    Pen,

    Removing the jumper did the trick. Just for my own information I'd like to
    ask you if you know why an SATA drive would be better than an EIDE drive? Is
    there an outstanding reason to choose one over the other?

    Thanks

    Joe

    me again, Mar 8, 2005
  12. me again

    Pen Guest

    SATA is, in theory, slightly faster than IDE and
    is the wave of the future. In practice, at this time,
    there is little difference as the SATA drives
    are identical to the IDE ones except for the interface.
    As time goes by, however, IDE will fade out and SATA
    will be the dominant interface. So if your machine
    supports SATA, it is probably better to buy SATA drives now
    as they will more easily move to a newer machine in the
    future.

    Pen, Mar 8, 2005