New Inspirion 1520 laptop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Joe, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I took charge of our new Inspirion 1520 laptop today and thought I'd just
    comment on a few things I found.

    First of all, I have to say the build quality of these Dell laptops is
    excellent...'solidly built and they look the part too. Nothing that could be
    called flimsy here. I powered up...'it took an age to first-boot, but not so
    slow later on a reboot. The Dell media center program is a nice touch
    outside windows. Vista....'is awful. I went with the flow, but I am trying
    hard to like it. XP just feels more like home to me. :) The display as set
    to maximum and looked terrible. I a*sed around with all the usual obvious
    controls like brightness, changed font size, tried every resolution there
    was, but the picture quality was so grainy and over contrasted it looked
    like a washed out old photograph. I was thinking "back you go to Dell, you
    shit laptop". How could they send me a laptop with such a poor quality
    screen?! Shame on you Dell.
    Then I decided to download the latest video driver for the Nvidia 8600 GT
    card. I did, and then accidentally found more settings for things like
    contrast, gamma, digital vibrance etc.,. Result? A truly amazing quality
    photographic image replaced the previous abomination. God, how relieved was
    I to see this?! In all honesty, the display is about as good as anything
    I've ever seen on a flat panel monitor, and certainly better than most.

    You need a mouse btw! That bloody touchpad thingy is not for the oldies.
    There's a feature of Vista that I hate and wish I knew how to turn it off.
    It's the thing where you are looking at some options like 'Save', 'Close',
    'Delete', etc., and about a second after you hover on a button, it executes
    the command as if you had pressed the left mouse button. A real bugger to
    get on with if you're a slow-coach. (Anyone know how to kill this?).

    Vista is far too security-concsious imo, and asks the same question too many
    times. Also, that Aero interface...'what a waste of processor speed. Next
    up....'I found the mouse they sent me. :) Aye! One of those ones with two
    extra buttons on the inside and you forever keep accidentally clicking them
    and going back to the previous webpage and so on. Nightmarish! So, then I
    found this 'mouse studio' and set the buttons to 'do nothing', then clicked
    'apply'....'and it did nothing. Rebooted too, but still the damned buttons
    screed up my surfing. Grr!

    I compared my laptop's screen to my 20" Dell widescreen...'the jury is still
    out on that one. But, I am not a fan of the new LCD/TFT stuff at all. Reason
    being, I am typing this on a pin-sharp and truly rock-solid display...'a
    Mitsubishi Diamondtron FST CRT! Yes! It just can't be beaten for sheer
    clarity...'it is soo sharp and colourful and I can view it from any angle.
    New tehnology? Keep it. Anyhoo, the new Dell is still to be fully tested and
    will have to earn it's keep.

    Full specs are....

    Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 Processor (1.5GHz,667MHz,2MB L2 cache)

    15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife

    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

    nVidia GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

    Dell Optical Scroll Premium USB Mouse

    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - UK

    Any opinions and/or advice appreciated.

    Joe.

    Joe, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Just noticed....'Inspirion'! LOL!

    Joe.

    Joe, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Joe

    WSZsr Guest

    Nice write up Joe. First thing I do is turn off user account control (go to
    control panel>user account) then to the security center to turn off the
    nagging popup that the user account control has been turned off.

    WSZsr, Dec 5, 2007