New Itanium info

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Bill Davidsen, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. Some new Itanium info is out, http://goo.gl/vBg63 gives details on the eight
    core 32nm version of the chip just announced.

    Bill Davidsen, Feb 25, 2011

  2. Bill Davidsen

    Robert Myers Guest

    That is by far the most optimistic take on the new Itanium I've read
    so far.

    The article implies that a key obstacle to adoption of the chip is
    software optimization. That may be a formally correct statement, but
    the possibility of routinely producing good code for this chip at any
    plausible cost seems to be a pipe dream, even if Intel could jigger
    its compiler to produce could spec numbers.

    If this chip really were socket-compatible with QPI Xeon's, that could
    be a game-changer, but I haven't seen language that seems sufficiently
    specific to draw conclusions.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Mar 4, 2011

  3. Bill Davidsen

    daytripper Guest

    [...]
    I'm curious how you came to your "could be a game-changer" conclusion. By all
    appearances, it's the architecture and the mountain of baggage it brings that
    has been pretty soundly rejected by all but a very few. Hardware
    implementation details seem to be well below the noise floor wrt
    significance...

    Cheers

    daytripper, Mar 4, 2011
  4. Bill Davidsen

    Robert Myers Guest

    People have x86 software and they have enterprise software.

    If you're IBM, you satisfy that need by selling expensive plugins that
    allow you to include PC-compatible chips into your, um, mainframe
    installation.

    If you're HP, potentially you say, here's you box. Run whatever you
    like.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Mar 5, 2011
  5. Bill Davidsen

    daytripper Guest

    Ok, I got you. And that's a concept that has been pitched often - usually as a
    bridge solution - but actual implementations have been rare to say the least.
    And not to beat on the recently deceased, but if dual-architecture ability was
    a sought-after feature, Advanced Modular Solutions might still be around...

    Cheers

    daytripper, Mar 5, 2011
  6. Bill Davidsen

    Robert Myers Guest

    If I were HP, I'd be hanging onto that for dear life. There isn't
    much else to sell.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Mar 5, 2011