New LCD advice needed.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Fleabus, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Fleabus

    Fleabus Guest

    Hi:

    I currently have the following video setup:

    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Cat3.9/DX9.0b/WinXP HE SP1)
    VGA1 (Primary): 21" ViewSonic P817 shadow Mask
    VGA2 (Secondary): 22" ViewSonic P225f aperture grille
    Both monitors at 1600x1200 32bit 85Hz

    P4 2.8b/1GB PC1066 RIMMs
    Asus P4T533-C (AGPx4)

    I'm used to enabling the extension of my Widows desktop onto the
    Secondary monitor.
    I'm thinking of replacing my Primary VGA1: monitor with a
    ViewSonic VP211b LCD 21.3" (diag.) monitor. I know little about them
    but this one seems to be a good one.

    Optimum Resolution: 1600x1200
    Response Time: 25ms
    Contrast Ratio: 600:1
    Brightness: 250 nits (cd/m2)
    Connections: DVI-I/D-sub/Usb2.0 hub

    I believe that it runs at the CRT equivalent of 75Hz. Is there a
    problem with "extending" the desktop onto the secondary CRT if it is
    at 85Hz?
    I've looked around for a ~20/21" LCD with a 16ms response spec but
    couldn't find any that are shipping.
    I do a lot of reading and the only gaming I do is bf1942 (+ all of
    the available stand alone variations) at 1600x1200 32bit 85Hz [vsync
    ON].

    Any advise/tips on this switch?
    What I stand to gain/lose?
    Would an upgrade to a Radeon 9800XT at the same time buy me much?

    TIA for help with any of the above

    Fleabus, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Fleabus

    Sparrow Guest

    If you only do light gaming, finding a 16ms lcd is not that big of a deal. I
    have a samsung 172T (25ms) and I love it ( I play a lot of games) The specs
    of the panel you mentioned look good. You can't really compare refresh rates
    of crt's to response time of lcd's. Low crt refresh rates will cause
    flickering in the image, but lcd's don't work that way. All digital lcd's
    run at 60Hz. The 9800xt is just a higher clocked version of the 9700, so I
    wouldn't really upgrade if I were you.

    Sparrow, Nov 10, 2003