    mouse (too slow) and want to focus firstly on using keyboard shortcuts with key
    mapping to do the same functions on the Mac as I'm used to on the PC. Eudora for
    mail, Agent for usenet, Opera for browser, etc.

    sdlfkj, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Greetings, yup, things are different.

    I don't know of such websites, but there are books for that purpose.

    The mouse speed can be adjusted in the "Keyboard & Mouse" System
    Preferences panel. Are you using the mouse which came with the Mac, or
    one from a PC? I'm just curious. I use a trackball, meself.

    Howard S Shubs, Apr 6, 2005

  3. sdlfkj

    Tracy Doyle Guest

    There's an online user group that has several discussions that are pertinent
    to your issue here:
    http://g5support.com

    Even if you don't have a G5, there is a section for other equipment and
    older systems.

    The Welcome - Share your mac experiences discussion and Newbie Tips and
    Advice discussion should be helpful for you. And if you have any particular
    questions which aren't addressed, feel free to ask and I'm sure you'll get
    lots of advice!

    Welsome to Macintosh!

    Tracy

    Tracy Doyle, Apr 6, 2005
  4. sdlfkj

    Bob Harris Guest

    There is a Mac Switchers book you may find helpful.

    The book Mac OS X, the Missing Manual is highly recommended.

    Under System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse, you can add some
    shortcuts, but it will not be everything you want.

    Also under System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts,
    is "Turn on Full Keyboard Access".

    http://MacOSXHints.com - while _NOT_ a beginner website by any means, if
    you are a power user that has moved beyond mousing everything, then you
    might also be into some of the more geeky stuff too, and MacOSXHints is
    great for that stuff.

    http://VersionTracker.com/macosx is your prime source for Mac OS X
    downloads.

    http://fink.sourceforge.net if you are into UNIX'y things.

    Good luck, and enjoy.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Apr 6, 2005
  5. sdlfkj

    sdlfkj Guest

    I just got a Mac and am realizing so many things are so different
    I've adjusted the mouse speed to maximum and its still slow. Using a Microsoft
    Trackball Explorer which has 5 wonderful buttons that should be programmable with the
    correct driver. They are in Windows 2000 (about the only smart thing MS has done) and
    when you can have program specific button commands, it sure quickens navigation up a
    lot. Until I can rationalize a Touchstream Fingerworks keyboard and do away with the
    mouse altogether that is.....

    sdlfkj, Apr 6, 2005
  6. sdlfkj

    sdlfkj Guest

    I just got a Mac and am realizing so many things are so different from the PC.
    That's great stuff. Thanks.

    sdlfkj, Apr 6, 2005
  7. sdlfkj

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I've adjusted the mouse speed to maximum and its still slow. Using a
    Microsoft Trackball Explorer which has 5 wonderful buttons that
    should be programmable with the correct driver. They are in Windows
    2000 (about the only smart thing MS has done) and when you can have
    program specific button commands, it sure quickens navigation up a
    lot. Until I can rationalize a Touchstream Fingerworks keyboard and
    do away with the mouse altogether that is.....[/QUOTE]

    You can edit the entry for "<key>com.apple.mouse.scaling</key>" on file
    "~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist". You may have to log
    out and back in to see the effect.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 6, 2005
  8. sdlfkj

    John Drako Guest

    Have you installed Microsoft's drivers for the mouse? It is available
    for OS X. It should make a difference.

    John Drako, Apr 6, 2005
  9. sdlfkj

    Adrian Guest

    I think you need Microsoft IntelliPoint software for the Macintosh - try
    searching at Microsoft's Web site. I use a Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical
    and all adjustments are available.

    Adrian, Apr 6, 2005
  10. A word of caution. Today I downloaded QuicKeys to try it out. I soon
    found out that it won't work with a Bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard.
    RGC

    Robert Christy, Apr 7, 2005