New MAX3 owner has a question

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Robert Jones, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Robert Jones

    Robert Jones Guest

    I have not put it together yet but will soon.

    Whats the best way to set up my HDs?

    I have a 36gig SATA raptor
    a 180 gig maxtor EIDE
    60 gig WD
    Plextor 8x DVDRW

    In theory it should be better to hook the Raptor to the ICH5 SATA
    contoller vs the other SATA controller which I think uses the PCI bus
    where the ICH5 will free up the PCI pipe.

    So

    Raptor Boot on ICH5
    Should the plextor sit alone?
    Master slave the two IDEs?

    Would I get any performance boost by converting all my IDE drivers to
    SATA using a converter?

    Thanks!!

    Robert Jones, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Robert Jones

    david Guest

    Your configuration seems ok to me. I pushed the boat out when I bought this
    board & bought a couple of Maxtor SATA drives to replace the WD ones I had
    already. Apart from the performance advantage of SATA my case is less
    cluttered with the ribbons, never got around to rounded IDE cables.

    I wouldn't have changed my drives if I hadn't had plans for the exiisting
    drives, in another computer So if you don't have to change it why bother?,
    unless you were planning to build a raid array, or do lots of video capture
    work.

    David

    david, Oct 14, 2003