New mother board & 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Kent_Diego, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Kent_Diego

    Kent_Diego Guest

    Kent_Diego, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Kent_Diego

    david bazley Guest

    As previously reported the 9800 Pro will not work with my two year old
    PlatiniX 2 motherboard.
    So what the heck I'm going to get a new super duper fast motherboard
    (suggestions welcome)
    So the following question will show the depths of my ignorance, but please
    be gentle.
    I am sticking to the same operating system Win 2000 pro and I am also
    keeping the same hard disk so clearly all my files should remain intact. But
    will I have to re-install everything else like all my programmes and Broad
    band?

    Baz

    david bazley, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Kent_Diego

    @ndrew Guest

    I would it really is easier and more efficient in the end o(

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Kent_Diego

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    @ndrew is right that it's the best thing to do, but I must admit that this
    is one area where I try to take the shortcut first.
    A problem could arise because of the different drive and chipset drivers in
    different motherboards. I've found Win 2000 pretty forgiving on this. Your
    new motherboard will come with a driver and possibly a utility and program
    CD. Your old one probably did, too. Look at Add/Remove Programs and see if
    you can find any Uninstall options for them. If you had built-in sound, for
    example, there should be an Uninstall for that. Try to Uninstall everything
    that pertains to your old motherboard before you remove it. You may end up
    with no problems and a good running system.
    If I were doing it for someone else, though, I'd install the new motherboard
    and do a complete reformat of the hard drive and work from there.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Kent_Diego

    DaveW Guest

    With Win2K, if you install a new motherboard you HAVE to reformat the
    harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS, OR you will suffer ongoing nasty
    Registry errors.

    DaveW, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Kent_Diego

    david bazley Guest

    OK thanks guys. That valuable advice makes up my mind for me once and for
    all. I'm getting a brand new PC, Whoopee! I love making bold decisions!
    I am going to keep my existing PC - with its broadband and programmes and
    files - untouched because its only two years old and there is nothing wrong
    with it except it is a bit too slow for games like FS2004.
    Then I am going to get the fastest new PC - just for gaming for the time
    being - that I, sorry my Bank Manager, can afford and put the 9800 PRO into
    that. I will hook the two PCs together using D-LINK (that I already have) to
    share the screen, keyboard and mouse. That saves a lot of hassle and
    re-installing and hair pulling out and also puts the worry on my bank
    manager.

    Now, bearing in mind that my Bank Manager is a worried guy, what
    motherboard and operating system should I get?

    david bazley, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Kent_Diego

    @ndrew Guest

    To keep your bank manager happy an Intel 875 board such as the Abit
    IC7-G Max3 with an Intel Pentium 4 as high as you can go with 1Gig of
    Pc3200 DDR or higher.

    To keep you happy an Athlon 64 as high as you can go with 2Gig of ram
    .... running 64 bit Linux and Winex for Windows games o)

    have fun.

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Kent_Diego

    david bazley Guest

    Get behind me Satan

    david bazley, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Kent_Diego

    Darthy Guest

    No you don't....

    But hey, we wouldn't be happy with a response from the village idiot.

    Darthy, Mar 7, 2004