New motherboard for T-40

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Charlie Wilkes, Apr 14, 2008.

  1. I bought an off-lease T-40 and all was bliss... until the other day when
    the video crapped out. It happened several times in succession, under
    various conditions. I have a dual-boot XP/Ubuntu system, so I ruled out
    software. I tried an external monitor, so I ruled out a loose
    connection.

    I assume I will have to replace the motherboard. I have three questions:

    First, although I realize this is but a desperate hope, is there any
    chance this could be fixed by changing BIOS settings?

    Second, how precisely do I need to match the motherboard to the exact
    model and type of my machine? Ebay listings seem to describe boards that
    span a range of models, and I don't really know what all is integrated
    into the motherboard. I don't want to have to reinstall my OS's if I can
    help it. And I want to make sure I keep core functions, especially
    wireless.

    Third, I'm not an expert but I've put together a number of home-built
    desktops and I have been inside a laptop at various times. But I've
    never replaced the main board. Is this a project I should take to a
    shop, or is it something I can do myself if I'm careful and read the
    manual?

    If anyone has had one of these things apart and can advise me, I'll be
    most appreciative.

    Thanks.

    Charlie

    Charlie Wilkes, Apr 14, 2008

  2. Charlie Wilkes

    Robert Barr Guest

    Could it be heat-related?

    I've never had a T-40 apart, but when I disassembled my A31 it looked
    like a little mushroom farm inside. I have a photo of it somewhere.

    Once I blew out the cooling fan duct and the rest of the innards with
    compressed air and applied new heatsink paste, the fan runs about half
    as often.

    I'd look into cooling first.

    After that, you can try the Thinkpad forum:

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/

    Robert Barr, Apr 17, 2008

  3. Charlie Wilkes

    Robert Barr Guest