New motherboard won't boot

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Tom Hill, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. Tom Hill

    Tom Hill Guest

    I am unable to boot a new ASRock K7VM3 motherboard that I am installing in
    an
    e-machines H2482 computer case.
    I am using an Athlon XP 2400 CPU and 512-meg of DDR RAM, which both were
    working correctly in another computer.
    After installing the RAM, CPU and CPU fan, and connecting a 300 watt power
    supply, I:

    1. Connected the power cable to the motherboard
    2. Connected a monitor
    3. Connected the front panel power switch
    4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
    5. Turned on the front panel power switch

    The first time I followed these steps, the monitor did indicate the
    motherboard was booting (startup routines, prompting to insert boot floppy).

    I then did the following:

    1. Turned off the power supply switch
    2. Conncted the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD Burner and CD ROM to the
    mother board with ribbon cables
    3. Connected the power supply cables to the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD
    Burner and CD ROM
    4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
    5. Turned on the front panel power switch

    At this point the CPU fan began spinning, but the motherboard would not
    boot - nothing would appear on the monitor screen.

    Then I did the following:

    1. Disconnected everything from the motherboard except the monitor and the
    power supply
    2. Turned on the power supply switch
    3. Shorted the power switch pins on the Front Panel Connector.

    Again, the CPU fan began spinning but the motherboard would not boot -
    nothing would appear on the monitor screen.

    I tried resetting the CMOS but this had no impact.

    Any ideas on what's going on here?

    Tom Hill, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Tom Hill

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try removing and reseating the memory modules. If this doesn't help, try
    removing and reseating the processor.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 1, 2005

  3. I agree with Ben. It is probably something loose. RAM and graphics
    card are usually the first two things I look at. Loose CPU is also a
    possibility, but it is kind of a pain to remove and reseat, so I save
    that for last. :p

    Also check the ribbon cables for your drives. Disconnect them from the
    motherboard and see if that helps.

    Alex Zorrilla, Oct 3, 2005