New MSP430 Family from Texas Instruments runs at 12 RISC MIPS & standby of 1uA

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Bill Giovino, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Bill Giovino

    Bill Giovino Guest

    Bill Giovino, Oct 10, 2004

  2. MSP430F1101 [Sept 1999, revised 2003 ] States
    Ultralow-Power Consumption
    - Active Mode: 160 µA at 1 MHz, 2.2 V
    - Standby Mode: 0.7 µA
    - Off Mode (RAM Retention): 0.1 µA

    MSP430F2101 family Data, Sept 2004 States
    Ultralow-Power Consumption
    - Active Mode: 200 µA at 1 MHz, 2.2 V
    - Standby Mode: 0.7 µA
    - Off Mode (RAM Retention): 0.1 µA

    Seems their own data sheets directly contradict this press release ?

    From this, the operate power has actually got WORSE ?!

    Yes, they carefully word the claim 'stand-by', but last time
    I checked 0.7uA was not HALF of 0.7uA :)

    Perhaps the errata is still comming ?

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Oct 10, 2004

  3. The current consumption at 3V in LPM3 decreased to about one half.
    That's what really counts in battery operated systems.

    The internal comparator still consumes too much power. Microchip leads in
    this important issue, since they introduced the ultra low power wake up
    module which consumes only 100-300nA.
    In solar cell based designs LPM3 still consumes too much energy.

    MIKE

    M.Randelzhofer, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Hmmm, yes, right down in the fine print, and only for 3V / Room temp.
    85'C is less of an improvement, MAX's are still TBF, and 2.2V is
    no change.

    That's rather a long way short of a blanket 'half the stand-by power'
    claim, esp as there are a number of standby modes....

    Still, TI DID add the 'Zero power' BOD, which is a good move.
    IMO they should put that in the press release, and leave off the claims
    that conflict with their page-ones.....

    Jim Granville, Oct 11, 2004
  5. These are also the low end of the product line. When they announce the
    MSP430F249, (or something with at least 32KFlash), then I'll pay a bit
    more attention.

    Mark Borgerson

    Mark Borgerson, Oct 11, 2004
  6. M.Randelzhofer wrote:
    Looking some more at TI's 'fine print' I see the Active (Flash ON)
    figures for 4096Hz, that are on the F1xx family, have quietly been
    dropped on the F2xx series ?!.

    In data sheets it is what they DONT say that's often more important :)

    It is now very hard to compare the F2xx with the C8051F330, which
    gives
    32KHz Osc, FLASH On = 9uA Typ [ Running Code @ 32KHz ]
    32KHz Osc, FLASH Off = 7.5uA Typ [ Perihperals active ]

    Does anyone have these operating points for the F2xx series ?

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Oct 11, 2004