New PC Intel Or Amd

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by JustMe, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Hello,

    I want to buy a new PC. Some friends and so told me:
    * Don't chose an AMD, its less stable and gives more blue screens than an Intel and installing XP gives a lot of problems.
    * The standard coolers from AMD make a lot of noise, Intel is a lot quiter.

    What's true and what isn't?

    I was thinking off a system with:
    * Mobo: asus A7N8X-X
    * Proc: AMD 2500+
    * Mem: 512 Mb DDR 333
    * Video: Geforce 5200

    A good combination/System?
    Somebody told me not use the 2500+ since the 2600+ or 2700+ would be better OC. In these threads I see the opposite. Whats true?
    If i want maximum speed is it better to buy a DDR333 or an DDR400? And whats the best choice 1x512 or 2x256? What brand? is Dane-elec good?
    The same person also said an Geforce 5200 is crap. True or false?

    thanks,

    Klaas

    JustMe, Sep 21, 2003

  2. JustMe

    Rabramson1 Guest

    amd is equally as stable....i have been using amd for years and i never had problems...u chose a good mobo for amd, and the barton 2500 is great for ocing. u can easily boost it up to 200 MHz fsb like the 3200 is. however ull need good ram and i doubt the brand u wanted to get would be good enough..id recommend mushkin or corsair pc 3200 because the price difference between 2700 and 3200 is like nothing... also get 2 of the same sticks to run dual channel (very fast and good). btw geforce fx 5200 is CRAP; its like a supped up geforce 4 mx :(. id go for at least a geforce fxf 5600 or even geforce 4 ti4200 (128 mb of course).

    Rob:

    Rabramson1, Sep 21, 2003

  3. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    That is BS. What they may be refering to is Via chipset based AMD system can
    be flakey which is true for Via chipset based Intel systems as well.

    * The standard coolers
    More BS. The stock AMD coolers aren't noisy, it's the 7000+ RPM overclockers
    coolers that are noisy.
    Sounds good to me. I only recomend Intel systems for video editing or if
    someone is looking for a -high end- system as intel seems to be on top
    right now.

    The opposite. Ussually the slowest rated chip is a series oclocks the best.
    They are crap. I'd go with a older GF 4200 or 4400 or get an ATI if you need
    something better than those.

    Stacey, Sep 21, 2003
  4. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    What's the risk of burning the cpu if u oc?
    How much change is there that i buy an 2500+ and can't OC it?

    klaas

    "Rabramson1" <> schreef in bericht amd is equally as stable....i have been using amd for years and i never had problems...u chose a good mobo for amd, and the barton 2500 is great for ocing. u can easily boost it up to 200 MHz fsb like the 3200 is. however ull need good ram and i doubt the brand u wanted to get would be good enough..id recommend mushkin or corsair pc 3200 because the price difference between 2700 and 3200 is like nothing... also get 2 of the same sticks to run dual channel (very fast and good). btw geforce fx 5200 is CRAP; its like a supped up geforce 4 mx :(. id go for at least a geforce fxf 5600 or even geforce 4 ti4200 (128 mb of course).

    JustMe, Sep 21, 2003
  5. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Sounds good to me. I only recomend Intel systems for video editing or if
    I want it cheap and fast for internet and playing games, i don't do video
    editing and if i ever will.. i'll just wait a bit longer for the cpu to
    finish
    I don't know.. do I need something better? I heard the GF4 doesn't support
    DirectX 9. If I buy an older one.. how much change is there that i need to
    buy a new one in a few months?

    Klaas

    JustMe, Sep 21, 2003
  6. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    by the way..
    how about Kingston memory? is that good?
    I also heard the IDE controller from the nforce chipset isn't as well as that from an via chipset. True or false?

    tnks

    JustMe, Sep 21, 2003
  7. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    If playing the latest games is your bag, buy the =BEST= video card you can
    afford. A real good DX9 card will cost more than the rest of your budget
    system you've spec'd! The reason I sugested the ti4200 is it outperforms
    the FX5200 for less and the FX5200 is -so slow- in DX9 mode it's really
    useless. I assumed you're on a tight budget by the specs you posted?

    Right now the ATI cards rock and the best nvidia 'sorta' support DX9. Id go
    with the best of the newer ATI's you can afford.

    Stacey, Sep 21, 2003
  8. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    Very little until you start turning up the voltage.
    No way to say. Each chips is different. I have an XP1700+ that runs at a
    higher speed than I can get my XP2100+ to run at..

    Stacey, Sep 21, 2003
  9. JustMe

    lost Guest

    An AthlonXP 2500+ would be the best value for money, they overclock well too.
    Just don't get a motherboard with a "VIA chipset".
    It depends on what games you want to play.
    Some models of GF4 are actually GF2s... go figure. Anyway, I wouldn't buy
    anything from nVidia because of their visual quality.

    lost, Sep 22, 2003
  10. JustMe

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Your friends are pretty fucking stupid, and obviosly know NOTHING about
    computers.

    Ask them what they would buy, then buy the OPPOSITE. That way you'll do
    good.

    Pug Fugley, Sep 22, 2003
  11. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Hi,

    As far as i understand the spec's on the asus site the A7N8X-X doesn't support Dual Channel DDR, the A7N8X-Deluxe seems to support it. Is this correct or supports the A7N8X-X Dual Channel anyway?

    tnx

    JustMe, Sep 22, 2003
  12. JustMe

    BF Guest

    I still believe that it would be almost impossible to burn up a processor unless the heatsink/fan failed. You will hit a point Oclocking that the processor will become unstable of just won't boot, at which point you back it off until it does.

    BF, Sep 23, 2003
  13. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    Unless you start turning up the voltage to get it to boot at that speed and
    then try for more and....

    Stacey, Sep 23, 2003
  14. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    Doesn't make much if any difference on an AMD system, memory bandwidth isn't
    a bottle neck like it is on a P4 system.

    Stacey, Sep 23, 2003
  15. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    But if I would buy an Deluxe (only 30 euro extra) and 2 sticks of memory,
    would i gain any performance? And would Kingston memory do as well as
    corsair? Is the IDE controler on the Deluxe better then on an a7nx-x?
    anymore advantages.. seems like the boards are almost identical..

    tnks
    klaas

    JustMe, Sep 23, 2003
  16. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    Very lttle from what I've seen. I does help with on board video performance
    but when using an AGP card it doesn't help much if any in use and many
    times can cause problems if the memory isn't "just right" specs..

    I'd save the money of the deluxe and spend it on better ram like the
    corsair. You'll then have a better chance of a good Oclock which will do
    much more than the dual channel ram will on an AMD system.

    Stacey, Sep 24, 2003
  17. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Does it matter in that case if u put in 2 sticks of 256 or just 1 from
    512? do 2 sticks double the chance on a bad Oclock or ...

    JustMe, Sep 24, 2003
  18. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    I'd say yes. If you want 512, get 1 stick of some good ram like corsairs
    XMS. Fast with low latency is likely to get the best OC without ram being
    the problem. I'm sure someone has gotten a crazy high oclock with 3 sticks
    of ram or something but it's less likely to happen.

    Stacey, Sep 24, 2003
  19. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    What are the advantages of using an delux version then? beter sound
    and an SATA controller .. is that all? howemuch better is an SATA?

    tnx
    klaas

    JustMe, Sep 24, 2003
  20. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    No advantage right now with sata. The HD's throughput is WAY below 100mbps
    so going to 150 does nothing in use. If you want really good sound, you'll
    want an add in card anyway.

    Stacey, Sep 25, 2003