  1. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    Really? I reread it and still didn't see where you said that..

    Stacey, Oct 3, 2003

  2. JustMe

    Ben Pope Guest

    I hold my hands up... this time round I didn't say it. I've done the
    SATA/ATA thing more than once and I keep saying that the interface doesn't
    matter because it doesn't restrict the drives performance.

    But my comment about going SATA was so that you can plug in the Raptor, not
    because SATA is inherantly faster (which is isn't, at the moment)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 3, 2003

  3. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    The computershop i went to said they had a lot of problems with the
    corsair memory on asus motherboards and specially the boards for
    Intel. Here the advise is to buy Corsair, there advise is to buy
    Dane-Elec because they claim its more stable. Known problems corsair
    with asus boards for Intel processors or just a lot of crap from that
    shop?

    JustMe, Oct 6, 2003
  4. JustMe

    Ben Pope Guest

    No such reported problems here...

    Corsair is one of the few that's consistently reported as work well.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Last Friday night, I pulled a bonehead maneuver on my old but _working
    well_ MSI 6380LE mobo. I had been struggling with getting RH Linux to
    recognize my dual display setup that I use under Windows. This
    involved adding/removing/configuring each video card separately. I
    was in the process of blindly removing my AGP card and thought I was
    flipping the little catch lever to release the board when actually, I
    was popping a transistor off the mobo. @#%&!

    So Saturday morning with a budget of $100, I'm off to get a new mobo.
    The very large mail order shop's will call counter that I normally use
    was closed. So my only choice was a medium sized shop that advertises
    itself as a "Christian" business.

    I walk in and start looking at the AMD mobos and the sales guy tells
    me in so many words that AMD is crap and that I should use Intel
    instead. I tell him it's a replacement mobo and that I happen to like
    AMD. He says he's had all kinds of problems with them overheating in
    all the ones he's installed. I'm thinking he's never even owned one
    (or installed one). I tell him I use AMD recommended coolers, install
    them and forget them (I've owned quite a few and installed many more).

    So I'm looking at MSI mobos. It's my preference and all I've used for
    a couple years. Always have good luck with them, and they work well
    --for me. The guy tells me now that he wouldn't recommend MSI and
    uses Asus instead. He's really starting to annoy me and I'm ignoring
    him. I notice an MSI nVidia board (what I'd have preferred) that I
    can't afford. I grab the affordable KT4VL (KT400 board) instead. As
    I'm paying for it, I think well maybe I can afford the nVidia board...
    So I go check the price again. $129.99 and I know I could get it for
    $100 on Monday.

    The guy sees what I'm looking at and yells across to the service desk
    "ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE NVIDIA CHIPSETS?"

    "VERY UNSTABLE!" shouts the reply.

    I'm really pissed at this point so I shout back . "IF YOU DIDN'T USE
    THAT CHEAP SHIT GENERIC MEMORY YOU SELL, YOU'D FIND THEM QUITE
    STABLE!"

    I put the $130 board back on the shelf and paid for my KT400 board.
    On my way out the door, the guy asked me if I wanted a store price
    sheet. I said no thanks, I won't be needing one.

    Next time something breaks on the weekend, it will have to wait 'til
    Monday. TCWO never gives me crap like that. If you want their
    advice, the counter guy will have a tech come out and talk to you.

    __________________
    -= ®atzofratzo =-

    ®emove The fleA to reply

    -= ®atzofratzo =-, Oct 6, 2003
  6. JustMe

    Tod Guest

    AMD has been making CPUs for as long as Intel.
    AMD was a "second supplier" of Intel's 286, 386 and 486 chips.
    Intel broke with AMD during the 486 period, so when Intel come out with the Pentium,
    there was no real competition for the Pentium, Intel make lots of money, while AMD did not.
    Engineers that designed Intel's Pentium, worked for AMD afterwards (Nexgen).
    Intel is a very conservative company and would not release a CPU
    before is has proven to be a stable chip, (which make Intel chips great for overclocking)
    AMD has had to play catch up with Intel, so has been under pressure to "push"
    their chips to their limit, (worked fine at specified speed, but not as overclockable)
    Five years ago I was a fan of the Intel Celeron, you could really
    overclock it compared to the AMD's chips.

    I've switched between AMD and Intel chips for the past 8 years
    My Current system uses an AMD XP 2000, on an ECS motherboard, running Win XP home.
    The motherboard with CPU cost me $70, my cooling fan/Heatsink cost $14
    (Fast memory speed settings in bios, but no overclocking)
    My system is very very stable.

    Asus has a reputation for reliable and stable motherboards.
    I've heard the AMD Barton core is a good overclocker
    Spend a few extra bucks and get good quality (Name brand) memory Dimms.
    I've used Dane-elec (at specified speed), worked fine.

    I tried a Nvidia 5200 when they first came out, had minor driver problems.
    My Sapphire ATI 9100 128MB works great
    Hello,

    I want to buy a new PC. Some friends and so told me:
    * Don't chose an AMD, its less stable and gives more blue screens than an Intel and installing XP gives a lot of problems.
    * The standard coolers from AMD make a lot of noise, Intel is a lot quiter.

    What's true and what isn't?

    I was thinking off a system with:
    * Mobo: asus A7N8X-X
    * Proc: AMD 2500+
    * Mem: 512 Mb DDR 333
    * Video: Geforce 5200

    A good combination/System?
    Somebody told me not use the 2500+ since the 2600+ or 2700+ would be better OC. In these threads I see the opposite. Whats true?
    If i want maximum speed is it better to buy a DDR333 or an DDR400? And whats the best choice 1x512 or 2x256? What brand? is Dane-elec good?
    The same person also said an Geforce 5200 is crap. True or false?

    thanks,

    Klaas

    Tod, Oct 6, 2003
  7. JustMe

    Tod Guest

    Current SATA(150 mbps max) does not provide any real performance advantage
    over the ATA(133 mbps max).
    SATA (Serial ATA) was picked because is can use the same drivers as
    ATA/33,66,133 (Parallel ATA)
    both transfer at about real world speed of 60-65 mbps, current hard drive
    technology limits speed.
    The SATA cable is smaller (only 8 wires SATA vs. 40/80 wires of ATA133),
    which is better for airflow and makes is easier to work inside the case.
    In a few years, SATA controllers should be about 4 times faster (SATA 600
    ?),
    but harddrives will need to improve to take advantage of the faster
    controller.
    The improved harddrives should be able to transfer faster on even the
    SATA150 controller,
    but by that time you would probably have a replaced your motherboard.

    Tod, Oct 6, 2003
  8. JustMe

    Wes Newell Guest

    Not really. I think you need to look at this.

    http://www.antiquetech.com/chips/4004.htm
    Intel made cpu's at least 11 years before this. See above for the first
    microprocessor ever made.
    ROFLMAO. So what company was it that recalled all those Pentium chips with
    the floating point bug? It couldn't have been Intel coud it.:) And what
    about they're first attempt over 1 gig. I think they had to recall them
    too now didn't they.:)
    Let's see, I can overclock an AMD cpu from 1466MHz stock to over 2400MHz.
    That's about a 65% overclock. How much can you overclock a 1.5GHz P4?
    Things change.

    BTW, turn off html when posting to a newsgroup. thanks.

    Wes Newell, Oct 6, 2003
  9. JustMe

    Tod Guest

    You right, I should have just said Semiconductor chips.
    Do you know what year AMD started making Semiconductor chips ?
    You are correct, I do not remember say Intel was perfect,
    but Intel still seems to have make more money then AMD.
    2400mhz is fast, Intel is going to be releasing a 4000-5000 mhz chip.
    So it looks like AMD is still play catch up.

    Tod, Oct 7, 2003
  10. JustMe

    Ben Pope Guest

    That has little to do with stability of chips.
    When is this chip going to be released? Hardly fair to compare now to the
    future?

    And since an AMD Athlon XP at 2.2GHz is equivelent to an Intel P4 at 3.2GHz,
    chip clock rates are meaningless in comparisons.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 7, 2003
  11. JustMe

    Stacey Guest

    I'm sure Jesus would approve of them using his name to promote their
    bussiness!

    Stacey, Oct 7, 2003
  12. JustMe

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Oct 7, 2003
  13. JustMe

    Ed Guest

    Corsair works great on my NF2 ver.2 board, if can you consider 4 1/2
    months uptime without a single error? ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Oct 7, 2003
  14. JustMe

    Wes Newell Guest

    And that would have been wrong too. Intel, 1968. AMD 1969.
    1970. They were founded in Nov. 69.
    But you did say they would not release a cpu before it was proven to be a
    stable chip, which we all know not to be the case.
    Probably so. I don't know and don't care. That has no bearing on the
    products they produce.
    Wrong again. Intel is trying to play catchup with the 3.2EE, but reviews
    still put it behind the new Athlon FX/51, which is on the market. The
    Intel 3.2EE hasn't even been released yet, just samples.

    Btw, that 2400MHz XP is faster than the P4 3.2 too.

    Wes Newell, Oct 7, 2003
  15. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    I think the name has all to do with sharing.. sharing your money with
    them :)

    JustMe, Oct 7, 2003
  16. JustMe

    RyDoc Guest

    Hello. New to Newsgroups here. As part of my HNC Computing course I am
    ordered to post a message to a newsgroup.

    Thanks.

    RyDoc, Oct 21, 2003
  17. JustMe

    RyDoc Guest

    Hello. Had to post a message as a part of my HNC Computing course in
    the Internet class.

    -Ryan.

    RyDoc, Oct 21, 2003
  18. JustMe

    Kev Guest

    i am looking to buy a new PC, i dont know whether to go for an AMD
    2400+ processor or rlse the Pentuim 4 processor.

    i dont reli know much about thall this so any replys would b great.

    Thanx for that, kev

    Kev, Oct 21, 2003
  19. JustMe

    rstlne Guest

    Hello. Had to post a message as a part of my HNC Computing course in
    Hah
    It's shameful really, an employer will pay you extra money for getting a HNC
    where they teach you of all things
    "to post a newsgroup message using google"
    nice

    rstlne, Oct 21, 2003
  20. JustMe

    Ben Pope Guest

    Congratulations, you have succeeded, welcome to Usenet.

    FYI, there is an alt.test group where you would have been on topic (since
    nothing is off-topic and I wouldn't expect anybody to take any notice, but I
    suspect there are people lurking there). :)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 22, 2003