    cards has just recently been made affordable and fast enough to add on to
    cards. The big question is has anyone got any information on when there
    next card is coming out and if it will have such a chip on board.

    boe, Jul 13, 2004

  2. I have an SB Audigy 5.1 and a nice set of 5.1 speakers to go with it. Games
    that I play right now that have 5.1 audio (not just talking about
    pre-encoded 5.1 music here... the whole game is output in 5.1) are:

    Painkiller
    FarCry
    Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising

    can't think of any more... The point is though, that you don't need
    real-time AC3 encoding to utilize all 5.1 channels in real-time.

    Tony DiMarzio, Jul 13, 2004

  3. boe

    Sham B Guest

    can't think of any more... The point is though, that you don't need
    Also, EAX2 and 3 can convert stereo to pseudo 5.1 (even 7.1).

    So if a game suports EAX, you wont be wasting your 5.1 speakers even if the in game sound engine is
    really stereo. Games like Battlefield Vietnam have it.

    I also listen to lots of CDs on my 5.1s, and use the Soundstorm preprocessing (it can create the
    missing channels on the fly to expand the stereo image), so again, there is no specific need to
    actually have a 5.1 source to use 5.1 speakers.

    In all cases, the difference is discernable and much better than stereo.

    Sound card - Soundstorm (i.e. the onboard 5.1 on my MSI Nvidia nForce2 mobo, very good but has a
    slight hiss at zero volume, prolly because of all the high frequencies on the mobo... but not
    noticeable as soon as you start playing something),
    speakers - Creative 550 (5.1, THX... excellent, they compare well to my separates system downstairs,
    and quite useful when I am having a shower upstairs and want some tunes to drown out my singing :)

    Sham B, Jul 13, 2004
  4. boe

    Jay Michaels Guest

    Go to the newsgroups on their server:

    news.soundblaster.com

    Jay Michaels, Jul 13, 2004
  5. boe

    GMAN Guest

    You are confusing Encoding with Decoding. Creative labs has been able to
    decode DD 5.1 for years now. Encoding DD real time is another thing all
    together.

    GMAN, Jul 14, 2004
  6. boe

    boe Guest

    I'm not sure what you are trying to say but the current cards don't have an
    ENcoder on them - they need this for preamps to get the 5.1 from other
    sources than preencoded formats such as some DVDs.

    boe, Jul 14, 2004
  7. boe

    boe Guest

    Thank you - I will. I appreciate the assist.

    boe, Jul 14, 2004
  8. boe

    boe Guest

    Thanks, I'm not sure but if you can check on these, it would be appreciated.
    I'd like to play Halo, Call of Duty, Jedi, Voyager and others and have the
    EAX enabled so that if a shot is fired, the sound comes from the speaker in
    the direction of the sound source. I don't just want sound from all my
    speakers, I want discreet sound sources.

    boe, Jul 14, 2004
  9. boe

    McGrandpa Guest

    Voyetra-Turtle Beach :) Rivera

    I have an el cheapo Santa Cruz, and it stomps the SB Live! series flat.
    Not that much because of the hardware, both make great boards with a lot
    of potential. Software/drivers.
    The Santa Cruz can do things that even Audigy2 cannot. Shop around and
    read a bit.
    You'll find that even motherboards now come with 8 channel sound.
    What's that now, 7.1 surround? I don't trust Creative Labs now.
    Something has changed with that company and they do not treat customers
    the way they used to. What things CL touts their sound cards have is
    "conditional", only IF you have this or that yadda yadda. The Turtle
    Beach cards? Heck you'll find all the goodies right in the control
    panel applett on the taskbar. I'm impressed.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Jul 15, 2004
  10. boe

    K Guest

    **** Creative. This is the company that was responisble for the demise of
    Aureal through malicious litigation. A3D 3.0 was about to turn the sound
    card industry on it's head, Creative saw that they were about to be screwed
    and did what most corporations do nowadays when faced with competition from
    a smaller competitor, sue them. After killing Aureal, Craptive bought the
    remains and now A3D 3.0 lies in their vaults somewhere and will never see
    the light of day. Bastards.

    If you want sound that's as good, if not better than an Audigy for a
    fraction of the price then get an Nforce 2 motherboard with SoundStorm. Also
    SoundStorm has the lowest CPU usage of any sound solution. It really is that
    good, Nvidia should have advertised it as 'the soundcard that comes with a
    free motherboard'.

    K, Jul 15, 2004
  11. boe

    borolad Guest

    Agree with everything you say, but that's not why I posted, just to
    say I like this description :
    BoroLad

    borolad, Jul 15, 2004
  12. boe

    patrickp Guest

    I got myself a Videologic Sonic Fury (European issue Santa Cruz) a
    while ago, McG, and was very disappointed with it - sound was
    excellent, but it slowed my system down.

    But that was on a W98SE box - I've since tried it on a W2K box and I'm
    delighted with it - I'd say my system's, if anything, even brisker
    than with an SB card, and I do like the sound.

    I think it may have something to do with drivers - the only WDM driver
    available for the card is for XP and W2K only; otherwise you seem to
    be stuck with VXD drivers. Turtle Beach do a W98SE WDM driver, which
    I tried - that was better, although the SB (Digital 5.1) still worked
    better, and I had some other issues with the driver.

    Moral is, if you're using W2K or XP (I presume would be Ok), get a
    Sonic Fury/Santa Cruz; if you're using W98SE, stick with an SB or find
    something else. ;-)

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 15, 2004
  13. boe

    Ben Pope Guest

    I don't think he is...

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 16, 2004
  14. boe

    Wblane Guest

    I had some humming problems w/the soundstorm on my Abit NF7s v2.0. When I
    turned down the CD volume to zero it disappeared. You might try lowering the
    input volumes on some of your devices and see if that affects your hissing. I
    don't have any hissing or humming w/my soundstorm. It's just downright fô¥ked
    that soundstorm is to be discontinued. Isn't soundstorm the only
    high-performance sound solution to Creative Labs?

    Wblane, Jul 18, 2004
  15. boe

    Wblane Guest

    Yeah! They're almost as bad as Microshaft. Didn't they also kill Sensaura
    (Sensura).
    Ditto. I wonder if Craptive had anything to do w/Nforce's decision to give up
    on Soundstorm. I'm sure Craptive is happy to hear it.

    Wblane, Jul 18, 2004
  16. boe

    K Guest

    Fortunately Soundstorm (the main reason I bought an Nforce board) is not
    dead and will be updated for Nforce 4.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/Default.aspx?article=17058

    Soundstorm was actually designed by ex-Aureal engineers. I bet they had to
    tread carefully to avoid being sued. They wanted to incorporate A3D support
    into Soundstorm but couldn't because Creative now hold the patents.

    K, Jul 19, 2004