    I really wouldn't be interested in buying a speaker system for my PC since
    I've already invested thousands in my preamp, amp and speakers. I'd love to
    be able to take advantage of them.

    boe, Jun 14, 2004

  2. boe

    Lenny Guest

    Nothing that I know of. They didn't show any new stuff at E3 or Comdex to my
    knowledge, so they wanna milk their ZS line a bit more methinks.
    Dunno exactly what you mean by that. The ZS doesn't have optical out at all,
    and what is "standard preamp decoding" anyway? Creative's cards have no
    hardware ENcoder, so the only way you'd get surround out of any of them
    using digital outputs is if you have material with pre-encoded surround
    sound on it (such as DVD movies or music). That's regardless of wether you
    use coaxial or optical; these are exactly the same type of connection
    except - obviously - one of them carries sound electrically and the other
    via a beam of light.

    Lenny, Jun 15, 2004

  3. boe

    boe Guest

    Yep - the optical out will only give me stereo unless as you say it has been
    encoded for the special speakers that decode the surround out. The standard
    optical cable is used in their music emu card. Hopefully the next round
    will let all of us with a receiver or preamp have a decent gaming pc for our
    TV's.

    boe, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Am Sa 15.06.04 schrieb Lenny:

    I don't know of a Creative card with a encoder, but there exists a Asus
    motherboard called A7N8X-X Deluxe (A-Socket) which got a internal Dolby
    Digital Encoder. The positioning in games works good, but there are less
    effects. Also you could not use DVD-Audio, but this doesn't care on
    digital connections, because it is disabled anyway when playing DVD-
    Audio.

    By the way, i also would like to have a Audigy 2 with a internal Dolby
    Digital Encoder...

    --
    Grüße, Pierre

    Pierre Wasser, Jun 19, 2004
  5. boe

    boe Guest

    I sent them a tech request because I couldn't find any better way of
    contacting them. I also asked about it at Comdex last year. I'll bug them
    again at Comdex this year.

    Are there any Creative Labs forums that people from Creative read?

    boe, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Am Sa 19.06.04 schrieb boe:
    I don't know.

    Another Story: Yesterday I wrote them a E-Mail because everytime I start
    the "Speaker Setup" Applet, my settings in the "THX Console" are set to
    default values.
    They wrote me back that I should install the THX Console Update. OK I
    thought, I have it already installed, but to eliminate all doubt, I
    installed it again.
    No change, it is still that when I open the "Speaker Setup", on the next
    opening of the THX Console, all my settings that I made are lost.

    Narf! I hope they will do some bugfixing, it is annoying to make all
    this settings again and again on a soundcard I payed 80 Euro for.
    Additionally there are games (the ones from Rockstar which uses the
    Miles(?)-Engine like GTA III and GTA:VC or Manhunt) which resets my 5.1
    configuration to 4.1, then the bass redirection is also disabled. Which
    needs me to go into the "Speaker Setup", then I must start the THX
    Console again, and so on... Really annoying this obliviousness.

    Greets, Pierre

    Pierre Wasser, Jun 19, 2004

  7. Creative makes a Add on card and so do these people

    http://www.hoontech.com/english/products/index.html

    Woger MKII , Jun 22, 2004
  8. boe

    boe Guest

    Thank you. Does this resolve the encoder issue? Will I be getting the true
    surround with my preamp or will it be stereo split into more speakers?

    boe, Jun 22, 2004
  9. boe

    Lenny Guest

    Like I said, Creative's cards don't have on-board surround encoders so your
    decoder has nothing to decode. If you have to use optical out, you will have
    to settle with stereo for material that is not pre-encoded in some way (that
    typically being DVD movies).

    Lenny, Jun 22, 2004

  10. I don't think you understand what you are on about at all you DO NOT USE a
    ENCODER at all, and it does not go into a Pre amp..

    Your Amp will Decode the Digital stream from the Tos Link..

    Woger MKII , Jun 23, 2004
  11. boe

    boe Guest

    I believe you are correct. I don't know what the issues are. I want to be
    able to hook my PC to my Preamp through an optical connector. I want my
    Preamp to play back Call of Duty, Jedi, Q3, etc as well as DVD's in surround
    sound. I want it to know in Call of Duty if the shot is coming from behind
    me by the speaker it is coming from. I know this is possible if I buy the
    cambridge speaker system for pc's because of something within the cambridge
    system. I want to know if it is possible with a standard preamp /receiver
    and speakers.

    Thank you

    boe, Jun 23, 2004
  12. Am Mi 23.06.04 schrieb boe:
    It is not possible to decode the digital output of a soundcard with a
    standard amp while playing games. Because the audigy can't encode the
    surround information into the digital output, it's got no encoder at
    all.
    If you want to play with surround-sound over a digital connection, you
    have to by a Motherbard with a Nvidia Soundstorm chipset, like this one:
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-e-d/overview.htm

    But for now, there are unfortunately no Creative Cards which can do
    this.

    Movies and other ->6Ch-Output
    preencoded material and ->TOS-Link

    Games ->6Ch-Output

    Greets, Pierre

    --
    Grüße, Pierre

    Pierre Wasser, Jun 23, 2004
  13. boe

    Lenny Guest

    I believe you are correct. I don't know what the issues are. I want to
    be
    No audigy card has optical out on the back bracket of the soundcard.
    Possibly the external break-out box of the Platinum edition has optical out,
    but then you'll have another box taking up space on your desktop...
    As previously stated already, this cannot be done, since the soundblaster
    and audigy lines lack surround sound encoder hardware. Spdif only carries
    bandwidth for a single stereo pair of speakers, if more sound channels are
    needed they must be compressed, and this hardware is lacking from creative's
    soundcards. You can only experience surround sound on material that is
    pre-encoded alongside with software that supports surround sound passthrough
    (some DVD software players such as PowerDVD, WinDVD etc).
    No, it is not possible even on a cambridge system using optical out, you
    must use the multi-channel coaxial spdif output on the back of the
    soundcard.

    Lenny, Jun 24, 2004