    I don't care so much about the software (Word, Excel, etc.). I mostly
    care about the data and she is more concerned about iTunes.

    Thanks!

    nsouza, Mar 2, 2006

  2. nsouza

    matt neuburg Guest

    Do a clean install (erase and install) of the system onter her new
    machine. When the machine starts up it will instruct you on how to hook
    the two machines together via firewire. Be ready with a firewire cable.
    Do what it tells you. That's all there is to it. All the right stuff
    happens automagically. m.

    matt neuburg, Mar 2, 2006

  3. nsouza

    nsouza Guest

    I would rather not do a clean install. Although the user of the old
    sytem belives he has moved all his data, he would like me to keep his
    profile around for around a month. What about Migration Assistant?

    nsouza, Mar 3, 2006
  4. nsouza

    nsouza Guest

    That's what I figured. Thanks.

    nsouza, Mar 4, 2006
  5. nsouza

    nsouza Guest

    Migration assistant worked.

    Thanks.

    nsouza, Mar 9, 2006
  6. If you migrate when you first get a new system, you have less control
    over your options than you do with migration assistant. It allows to
    you rename the user, not transfer the user file but do transfer
    applications and other files, network settings, system settings etc.
    This can come in handy with the new Intel Macs if some of your old
    programs don't come with your new computer (Apple Works 6, Sound Studio)
    or if some of your older programs won't work (classic aps, etc.) You can
    transfer the old Mac into the old username or a different one and log in
    and out to run various programs, keeping various system and network
    settings under different usernames.

    paulpeterjohn, Mar 14, 2006
  7. nsouza

    Chu Guest

    So in this case, do you just avoid the Migration Assistant when a new
    computer starts up, and then run it manually from the Applications
    folder?

    Also, I will be migrating from iLife 05 (G4) to iLife 06 (intel) --
    will it overwrite my newer version if iLife?

    And finally, does it do *anything* to the older mac?

    Thanks,
    ../Chu

    Chu, Mar 22, 2006
  8. You can. I didn't. I used the startup migration procedure, and if I
    had any problems, I don't remember them two months later.
    No, it's smart enough not to overwrite newer software with older
    versions.
    No, it does not do anything to the older Mac.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 22, 2006