New System P4PE - Spontaneous Reboot Question

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Lagartija, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Lagartija

    Lagartija Guest

    I have been having problems with spontaneous reboots since I put this
    system together 3 months ago. I'm running XP Pro AND have disable the
    option in system recovery to not reboot on error. Searching around on
    this problem on the internet there is a seemingly general feeling that
    this behaviour is due to some faulty hardware. I do monitor the PSU,
    CPU and memory so from what I can see they are all working properly.

    I wonder if it's video related because I changed the color bits from
    32 down to 16 and that seemed to give me less reboots. I also notice
    that at times if I'm scrolling (using the mouse on the right side
    scoll bar) it will reboot, often not though.

    The last thing that perplexes me which I can't seem to find any
    information on is XP Pro services and recovery options. If you know
    XP you know that each service has a recovery option, except for 4-5 of
    them which offer no recovery service but "restart system". So I
    wonder if these overide the option to not reboot system in system
    recovery.

    There are never any event log events recorded during these reboots.
    So, while I hate to think it maybe the case I do wonder if there is a
    glitch in the motherboard.

    Well if anyone has any insight or useful suggestions to the above it
    would br greatly appreciated.

    Lagartija

    Lagartija, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Lagartija

    Gary Hegan Guest

    Size of PSU and what brand.

    Gary Hegan, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Lagartija

    M Guest

    My cable modem connected via USB causes instant reboot when browsing.

    When I connect the modem thru LAN everything is OK.

    Obviously something to do with USB 2 cause it works fine on computer with
    USB 1 & Win 98SE.

    Neither Motorola or ASUS were any help!

    P4P800 D
    P4 3G 800 FSB
    Kingston RAM
    Win XP Pro SP1

    Murray

    M, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Lagartija

    Jim Morgan Guest

    What does the power supply monitor report for the 3.3V output?

    Jim

    Jim Morgan, Jul 1, 2003
  5. Lagartija

    Lagartija Guest

    It just went from 3.392 to 3.408 but then back to 3.392 range.

    One thing I noticed is that changing the color quality to 16 bit
    lessened the reboots. Today I took a look inside the computer, pulled
    the memory out (Corsaid) and the video card (to get to the memory).
    Anyway when I booted up..the color quality was back to 32 bit.
    Everytime it booted into windows it did a reboot. Finally I was able
    to catch it and set it back to 16 bit. It's been a few hours with no
    reboot. I made sure there was no leaking capicators and switch the
    slots the memory was in. I can't go and get another stick to test it,
    but my guess is it's not the memory.

    Lagartija

    Lagartija, Jul 1, 2003