New system with supermicro X7DBE-0 motherboard often wont show biosscreen or boot up

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by markm75, Dec 29, 2007.

  1. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    I just received a new Rev2 X7DBE-O motherboard, I also flashed it with
    the latest bios from supermicro(these problems were occurring before
    and after the flash)..

    Here is what I have running on the board as of now:
    Controller card for all harddrives (sataII 500gb Seagate 32mb drives):
    areca arc-1231ML 12 port pci-e x8.
    Memory: KVR667D2D8F5/2G x 4 sets (8gb total)
    CPU: Two: Xeon DP Quad Core E5420 (harpertown 2.5 GHZ 80W) with
    heatsink / fan; 12MB cache
    Chasis: Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB

    The problem:

    Often, when I turn the system on, it wont boot up, there is no beeps
    to indicate a problem either.. I see the lights flashing on the unit,
    but no screen or bios appears.. if I shut it down and turn it back on,
    it always comes back on so far.

    IE: Ill be in remotely to the system, I'll do a remote desktop
    shutdown.. it goes to reboot.. I wait a few minutes.. attempt to ping
    it from another machine.. it doesn't ping.. if I then go into the
    server room, I see it is on, but cant get the screen to come on..

    Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this issue? Or could it be a
    faulty motherboard?

    (Supermicro tech support is out till mid next week).. looking for
    someone who may have had this happen with some ideas for now...

    Thanks

    markm75, Dec 29, 2007

  2. I have similar problems with my new system. Often a cold start is
    required, a reboot will fail. The missing BIOS logo suggests to me an
    bug in the graphics card, or in some other device on the bus.

    A BIOS update fails with the strange message: cannot find XXX.EXE, which
    resides just in the actual directory. On my old system the exe starts
    fine, and exits after something like a "wrong version" error message.
    Can I use some Linux to update the BIOS?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Dec 29, 2007

  3. What PSU, make/model?

    Mike.

    Michael Hawes, Feb 4, 2008
  4. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    In my case its this chasis with dual 800watt PSU's: SC826TQ-R800LPB

    http://www.xpcgear.com/826tqr800lpb.html

    markm75, Feb 4, 2008
  5. PSU?

    The machine is a Medion PC6610, no motherboard documentation available.

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Feb 4, 2008