New system

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Xac, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Xac

    Xac

    Greetings,

    I'm building a system using the following parts:

    Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700
    HD Rack: VANTEC MRK-200ST-BK EZ Swap 3.5" SATA Removeable Hard drive rack Kit
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150

    I'm getting my mobo and processor on Tuesday so I'm thinking about the setup I want and if I need to get something else before I do it.

    I'm planning on using the Raptor 150GB for Windows XP pro, 3D Gaming and 3D apps like Poser and Maya.

    In addition I would like to buy another hard drive (s) so I'm thinking of the following options:

    Option 1: Get a 500GB HD, install Windows XP pro as well and run programs like Visual Studio, SQL and Photoshop. Then I can swap between the 150HD and the 500 HD depending on what I want to work on because they'll be mounted on a removeable hard drive rack but keeping a regular back up will be an issue.

    Option 2: Get another Raptor 150 GB, use only one installation of XP pro and configured them as Raid. My problem with this is putting Visual Studio and SQL to run with other programs because on my experience with it. It makes such a mess with my registry that after installation things just never run the same. That's why I'm trying to keep them separarate even if it means using two operating systems.

    Option 3: Use the same setup as option "One" but include a second Raptor 150 HD that I can use to setup my RAID. That one won't be removable. But when I swap with my 500 GB I can still back up important files if I need to.

    Questions:

    - Can you think of a better setup than this? =)
    - Should I just get 3 Raptors 150 GB so one can be used for the OS and 3D programs, the other one for my developement programs and the last one for back up purposes without having to swap them? If so, how should I set them up so I can use them if I'm only installing one version of Windows XP pro? Is that even possible?

    I'm new to raid configurations, I've been running on the same machine for the last 5 years using the typical Master/Slave config and so far the info I found is limited.

    Cheers,

    Xac

    Xac, Aug 26, 2006