New Theory: GTX 7900 with 512 MB killed the motherboard ;) (Overheat !)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I noticed in the nvidia control panel the temperatures of the these two
    graphics cards (sli) are 50 degrees celcius in idle mode !

    That's pretty high !

    Add to the fact that the gfx fans are probably spinning very slowly because
    of idling,

    Add to the fact the output holes are very tiny,

    Add to the fact there is little spacing between them,

    Add to the fact the airflow in the case was not optimal,

    Add to the rumor the mb sensor is near the cards,

    and there you have my new theory:

    The GTX cards killed the motherboard ! Overheat ! ;)

    Some questions:

    1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?

    2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 21, 2007

  2. Skybuck Flying

    First of One Guest

    You should've sticked with the all-conquering FX5200 that you loved so
    much...

    First of One, Jun 21, 2007

  3. I don't know and I am not sure I want to know. Using the drivers
    probably not, but using Rivatuner and low-level control this should be
    possible.

    However I wonder why one would like to build a dream machine with SLI
    and all, and then underclock CPUs and gfx cards... doesn't make much
    sense to me.

    My machine is by far not a dream machine (asus p5b-dlx, e6600, 7800gtx)
    all running at default, but it can barely be heard even during CPU- and
    GPU-heavy gaming. (Noctua cooler and CPU/case fans. No crashes, no
    overheating, almost dirt cheap (second-hand mobo and gfx).

    On my 7800gtx, I am still using the original fan, and it cannot be
    controlled by using the drivers settings. However, Rivatuner offers
    low-level control on the fans' speed, and I can set them manually or
    automatically. I leave that control to the driver itself, that takes
    care of this correctly. For a SLI setup though, I don't know if the fans
    can be set separately.

    You should concentrate on having a decent machine running silent at
    defaults, so you can enjoy it, rather than be bothered all the time by
    all the problems the previous one caused you. You had a dead mobo, SO
    WHAT ? Move on now.

    Lorenzo
    www.brokenbones.d2g.com

    Lorenzo Sandini, Jun 21, 2007
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Craig Sutton Guest

    its very low for those cards.

    Here's a new theory SHIT happens, motherboards die, GET OVER IT

    Craig Sutton, Jun 21, 2007
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Eeyore Guest

    The guy's a total lunatic.Ignore him.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Jun 21, 2007
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Bhagat Gurtu Guest

    What are you smoking?
    Plenty big enough for your tiny prick.

    Bhagat

    Bhagat Gurtu, Jun 21, 2007
  7. martin griffith, Jun 21, 2007
  8. Skybuck Flying

    John Guest

    Please people, do IGNORE him, he is multiposting in every group, he is sick,
    he says he knew everything about computer and he knows nothing.

    John, Jun 21, 2007
  9. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Not high at all. Most later models run much higher than any processors will
    run. My SLIed 8800 GTX cards default alarm is a lot higher than 50c. That is
    about normal at idle. 70+C is not unusual with most newer cards under
    stress. With just average airflow those temps would not hurt your MB at all.
    You worry far too much. Your MB died.......that is it. They do just die you
    know. Get over it.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Jun 21, 2007
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Ed Medlin, Jun 21, 2007
  11. They also die when SkyTard idiots jump in there with NO ESD training,
    and NO ESD knowledge.

    He likely zapped the damned thing.

    Spurious Response, Jun 21, 2007
  12. Skybuck Flying

    JAD Guest

    Be sure to pick up his next novel. Coming to a overly crossposted thread near you.

    JAD, Jun 22, 2007
  13. Well to answer my own questions:

    1. Yes it's possible to underclock them with RivaTuner... though I did not
    notice any temperature drops. (Not sure if clocks were really lower,
    probably though)

    (Maybe I'll try playing a game with lower clocks to see if I noticed
    anything but for now it leave it at default).

    (I also tried coolbits tweak but that didn't work)

    2. Yes it's possible to manually control the fans of both cards... that was
    pretty cool !

    I set the fan of first card to full speed and there it went... vvvmmmmmmmm.

    Then the fan of the second card to full speed... and ther eit went...
    vmmmmmm.

    They both can make some hell of a noise... Well it's in the morning anyway.

    I can hear a nail drop on the street I guess :) though cars slowly started
    to drive by ;)

    During real-world gaming they probably don't spin that hard ? :)

    Anyway making them spin at full speed did drop the idle temperature from 53
    degrees celcius to 48 degrees celcius during a minute of testing.

    So that's a 5 degree drop...

    I could also definetly notice more heat coming out of them at the back.

    Kinda worrieing to see a 52 to 54 idle temperature with slow fans... hmmm.

    Hmm not to happy with that... oh well..

    Probably not gonna buy such a heat chips in the future that's for sure ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 24, 2007
  14. Well,

    I also just took a look at an nvidia bios editor... which show the voltages
    of the cards.

    Apperently there are two pre-programmed voltages:

    1. 1.3 volts for 2D.

    2. 1.4 volts for 3D.

    The cards probably switch voltage when going 3D or so ? ;)

    Well I am not sure if I can immediate change the voltage level or if I have
    to flash it into the cards.

    Ofcourse I am not going to try it because I don't know for sure what I am
    doing and it's way to risky... but it was interesting to see this ;)

    Also the lowest value possible is probably 1.3 volts ?

    So not much use anyway.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 24, 2007
  15. Just wanted to change the topic so I can find it later more easily ;)

    1. Riva tuner does the trick ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 24, 2007
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:44:52 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"

    What's wrong with 50C. I'm used to seeing CPUs run tht and GPUs
    normally run hotter from my experience. Some run much hotter.

    <snip>

    Roger (K8RI), Jun 26, 2007
  17. Skybuck Flying

    John Lewis Guest

    Really ? Is that so ? Why ?

    With every posting you further expose yourself as a total
    techno-illiterate..... Please get help from both your psychiatrist and
    your original system-builder. Your psychiatrist will help alleviate
    your cross-posting fetish and your system-builder might be willing to
    use simple technical words that you can understand, particularly if
    you pay him by the hour.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 26, 2007
  18. Skybuck Flying

    GMAN Guest

    My Core 2 Duo 6600 CPU hasnt even broken 30C while overclocked to 3.2 Ghz

    GMAN, Jun 26, 2007

  19. That would be great information if they were talking about CPU temps.....

    Dan

    Angry_American, Jun 27, 2007
  20. Skybuck Flying

    Phil Weldon Guest

    And also if the temperature were not being estimated by the touch test B^

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jun 27, 2007