New theory/story: Stray electricity/cross talk low current erased parts of the BIOS.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. Skybuck

    Skybuck Guest

    Hello,

    On winbond's website it says it's BIOS chip uses very little
    current ?!

    This could mean that any accidently current could possible have erased
    "sectors" of the bios chip ?!

    Plausible ? Hmmm.

    Text from the website:

    "
    The W39V080A is an 8-megabit, 3.3-volt only CMOS flash memory
    organized as 1M x 8 bits. For flexible erase capability, the 8Mbits of
    data are divided into 16 uniform sectors of 64 Kbytes. The device can
    be programmed and erased in-system with a standard 3.3V power supply.
    A 12-volt VPP is required for accelerated program.

    The unique cell architecture of the W39V080A results in fast program/
    erase operations with extremely low current consumption.

    This device can operate at two modes, Programmer bus interface mode
    and LPC bus interface mode. As in the Programmer interface mode, it
    acts like the traditional flash but with a multiplexed address inputs.
    But in the LPC interface mode, this device complies with the Intel LPC
    specification. The device can also be programmed and erased using
    standard EPROM programmers
    "

    http://www.winbond.com/hq/enu/Produ...mory/ParallelFlash/ParallelFlash/W39V080A.htm

    How easy is it for a random current to erase parts of the bios chip,
    that's what I am wondering about !? ;) Hmmmmm :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Hi,

    I just learned/discovered something =D

    At least on my Windows XP Pro 32 bit operating system the calculator
    in scientific mode has a special "bin" radio button.

    The calculator can actually display values as binaries !!!!

    WIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

    Never knew that !!!

    Very handy !

    I am not sure what the erase code is for the bios chip:

    http://www.winbond.com/hq/enu/Produ...mory/ParallelFlash/ParallelFlash/W39V080A.htm

    Maybe it's:

    AA 55 80 AA 55 ? (hex probably ;))

    That would be binary:

    1010 1010 0101 0101 1000 0000 1010 1010 0101 0101

    Doesn't seem to safe to me ?

    Pretty random... maybe random killed it.

    Hmmm I wonder how "safe" this code really is...

    Maybe something less random ?

    How about:

    1111 1111 0000 0000 1001 1001 0000 0000 1111 1111

    Looks more safe to me ;)

    In hex that would be:

    FF009900FF

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck The Destroyer, Jun 5, 2007

  3. Skybuck

    kaizoman Guest

    Hi Skybuck,

    The odds of an CMOS flash BIOS having an over current issue is limited
    to situations where the machine receives a massive static shock or a
    power surge. Otherwise the chip is protected by the motherboards
    ground and it usually requires multiple voltage switches on various
    leads to enable programming mode. So the odds are pretty low.

    I hope this answers your question.

    ~Kaizoman

    kaizoman, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Skybuck

    Skybuck Guest

    Here is theory A:

    The Logitech G3 mouse or mouse driver completely freezes Windows X64
    Pro OS at random, which forced me to "pull the plug" so to speak
    (turning off power supply), ofcourse first I tried the reset buttons
    which did not respond anymore !!!???

    That is kinda odd in it self: non responding reset buttons ?!?!

    Are the designers to scared to do a simple reset (power off/power
    on) ?

    Or is something else preventing a (proper) reset ?

    During one of these reboots a power surge happened and erased parts of
    the bios.

    Here is theory B:

    While connecting the internet cable to the ethernet controller/chip
    some electricity from the network cable/plug entered the computer/
    motherboard in a uncontrollable way and damaged something.

    Somehow the damage was unnoticed until much later.

    (I don't believe in this theory... but maybe it could happen ;)

    Variation of C:

    Overload of network signals from Cable Modem.

    Maybe Cable Modem got electrically loaded via static electricity from
    shoes while I was near it.

    Sounds a little bit more plausible.

    Further variation of C:

    External sources overloaded network cable.

    Mobile theory:

    Mobiles caused bit to jump/get flashed/get radiated :)

    Ok now I am getting a little spooky and out of control =D euh out of
    my mind ? ;)

    I still don't know if the bios chip is dead.

    I hope I can get my hands on a new bios chip real soon, because I
    realllly wanna found out =D

    Thanks for your post...

    Also the manual of the bios chip confirms your story...

    They scared during power up and power down situations...

    Also the manual says don't use in critical applications LOL.

    What does that make my computer ? :)

    Non-critical-nonsense LOL.

    Crap-for-retards LOL

    No mister winbond I DONT THINK SO =D

    My computer is LOVE MACHINE FOR CRITICAL LOVE SITUATIONS.

    WITHOUT LOVE THE WORLD WILL HATEFULLY SELF DESTRUCT =D

    I would call that pretty critical =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Skybuck

    Skybuck Guest

    I present to you evidence which supports this theory:

    1. Sound corruption during playback.

    Reported by many users/buyers of this motherboard.
    (Cross talk from speaker/buzzer/audio)

    2. Buzzer extremely close to bios chip.

    Remarkble how none of the reviewers report about sound corruption
    while there is a massive ammount of buyers who have witnessed this
    problem with this board.

    That can mean two things:

    1. Reviewers don't test well.

    2. Reviewers don't tell the whole thruth.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Skybuck

    Bhagat Gurtu Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:45:08 -0700, Skybuck wrote:

    .... snipped shit

    Spurious sound in the audio can just mean that you don't have effective DC
    filtering in the supply to the sound chip, i.e you bought a shit
    motherboard because you didn't know any better.

    It is unlikely with your obviously very low IQ that your are ever going
    to get to the bottom of the problem, so my advice to you is to top
    yourself today.

    Bhagat Gurtu, Jun 7, 2007
  7. Skybuck

    Eeyore Guest

    You're an ignorant stupid prick.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Jun 7, 2007
  8. Skybuck

    Bhagat Gurtu Guest

    No he is more than that, he is an accomplished fuckwit.

    Bhagat Gurtu, Jun 7, 2007
  9. Skybuck

    johns Guest

    Yes, it happens. It use to be a much worse problem
    than it is today, but it can happen if your circuit is
    not protected from magnetic fields which can induce
    high currents in any conductor loop. The worst offender
    in this catagory is an unshielded crappy motor, like
    a cheap vaccuum cleaner with only a plastic housing.
    Such a motor can produce a rotating magnetic field
    that can produce very high surge currents in logic
    circuits ... generally blowing the crap out of them.
    Good idea to keep those kinds of circuits in a
    shielded box, and well grounded.

    johns

    johns, Jun 7, 2007