    http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

    Anthony Campbell, Dec 28, 2012

  2. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Wow, that IS quite a difference! According to
    http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ today's exchange rate is USD $1
    = UK £ 1.61533 (is that showing up as a "pound sterling" symbol on your
    computer?). Are there any other products or services where there's such
    a disparity either way?

    Adam

    Adam, Dec 31, 2012

  3. Adam

    parv Guest

    Yes, indeed.

    System camera, lenses, flashes is one kind of example -- that is
    what other people tell about of prices in Europe compared to in USA
    or Canada. Prices reported to be worse in Australia & New Zealand.

    - parv

    parv, Jan 4, 2013
  4. Adam

    Joe Guest

    I've been watching it, posting off and on throughout the years. I'm mainly active in the IRC
    channel though.
    Fan or HD usually go, moving parts. Battery as well, but I consider that an expendable part.
    I bought my fan for the T60 from Lenovo a couple years ago. I bought my T60 new and the fan
    went about 4 years of 24/7 operation before the bearings failed and it made tons of noise. If
    I recall it was around $60, no other parts have ever failed on that laptop. (I put a SSD in a
    couple years after having it).
    Joe

    Joe, Jan 4, 2013
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    I'm more familiar with desktop systems, but (from my very limited
    experience) hard drives, power supplies, and optical drives are what
    I've replaced most often in those. It does sound like laptop batteries
    need to be replaced as part of normal usage (and can't really be bought
    too far in advance), but then I think all types of secondary batteries
    have a limited lifespan, from NiCd to lead-acid.
    That doesn't sound /too/ bad, especially at $60. My T60 was bought
    refurbished last month, but I only have it on when I'm actually using
    it, a few hours per day on a busy day at most. OTOH my primary system
    (a desktop) is on close to 24/7.
    Of course, after four or five years of use, a computer is
    technologically outdated, even if it's working as well as it ever did.
    The T60 seems slow compared to my latest desktop system, but then I knew
    that before I bought it, and that wasn't the reason I was buying it
    anyway. :)

    Adam

    Adam, Jan 4, 2013
  6. Adam

    Adam Guest

    That's interesting, because many of those items are manufactured in the
    far East and so aren't "native" to any of those countries. The worst
    price I've heard was someone whose Internet service was over NZ
    $900/month with a 4 GB/month cap, but the circumstances were unusual --
    this was the schoolteacher on Pitcairn Island, where the only practical
    connection was satellite. The students were allowed to use the 'net for
    research only when absolutely necessary.

    Adam

    Adam, Jan 4, 2013
  7. Adam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I can confirm that. As a rough guide things like video cards that feature in
    Toms Hardware 'Best under $xxx' quarterly feature can be used. Over the
    years the card that they pick as "best under $100" has consistantly been
    ~NZ$250. (This is with the NZ$ being around US80c on average.) The trend of
    2x to 2.5x continues up the scale.
    Indeed. However Australasia is but a stone's throw from S/E Asia, you'd
    think that carrier charges would be minimal - at least compared to the US.
    <shrug> I guess it's a volume thing.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2013
  8. Adam

    Adam Guest

    I hadn't realized there was that much difference. I assume you're
    quoting the prices from NZ retailers. How do prices compare if you
    order online from US/Canada sites (e.g. NewEgg) and pay shipping to NZ?
    Or won't they do that because the manufacturers only allow them to
    sell to North America?

    Adam

    Adam, Jan 15, 2013
  9. Adam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sorry for the late reply. None of the major NA resellers will ship to NZ.
    There are freight-forwarding companies in the US who can be used (there was
    talk of these in a NZ comp group recently) but it adds another link to the
    chain - and more expense. Also they vary, the cheaper ones (relatively,
    they're all expensive) are very slow and the type of postage they use means
    when it gets to NZ it's low-priority and is treated as such.

    (For instance, one guy in aforementioned group used a mid-range FF company,
    requested and paid for signature required delivery but the parcels were
    simply left on the step. Seems the type of postage meant that the signature
    was obtained at the NZ post depot. Consequently, as he was on vacation, if
    it hadn't been for his neighbour his three new Kindles would have been
    outside for a week, in the rain for three of those days.)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2013
  10. Adam

    Adam Guest

    That makes me appreciate living in the U.S., at least as far as prices
    go. What about some of the smaller NA online sellers, even if they
    charge a little more?
    But how much is "more expense"? If that hypothetical US $100 graphics
    card can get to you for the equivalent of US $150, that still sounds
    cheaper than buying it from a NZ seller. Once I found that a particular
    college textbook was actually cheaper for me from Amazon.co.uk than
    Amazon.com, _including_ the shipping.
    Even within the US, shipping time can vary. I just bought a 2 GB DIMM
    for the Thinkpad T60 from Crucial. It took two days to get from halfway
    across the country to a U.S. Post Office maybe 40 km from me, then it
    sat at that post office for nearly a week before anybody there did
    anything about it.

    Adam

    Adam, Jan 29, 2013
  11. Adam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've not been overly impressed with the few I've looked at.
    In this hypothetical case it would be more like US $175 to get it here (I'd
    still have to pay to have it delivered from the seller to the forwarder, so
    frieght x 2, although only one is international). Then there's the exchange
    rate (currently one NZ$ = 83 US cents. Or 1 US$ = $1.20 NZ) whic would bring
    it up to NZ$210.

    Compare that to the NZ$250 price here, and the complexities of any warranty
    issues (not a problem with the textbook mentioned below) and I'd rather
    spend the extra $40 (>20%) to not only have it now rather than next month
    (they go obsolete so quickly) but also for the peace of mind a potential
    local, speedy warranty claim resolution brings.
    The company that I deal with for my computer parts in NZ delivers the next
    business day 80% of the time. It's never taken any longer than three days. I
    like that. A benefit of living in a smaller country I suppose.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 29, 2013
  12. Adam

    Adam Guest

    I can understand that completely. I prefer to buy my computers from
    local brick-and-mortar outlets to give me some place to go back to and
    yell at if there are problems, even if online would be cheaper. This
    refurbished Thinkpad T60 is the first one I've ordered online, but then
    there was no urgency.
    NewEgg (my preferred online retailer) has several warehouses nationwide;
    I never know which one(s) my order will be shipped from. I'm used to
    allowing a week or so for delivery, but generally I choose the cheapest
    method. Usually next-day (or 2nd-day) delivery is available, but for a
    hefty surcharge.

    What did we ever do before there was online shopping? :)

    Adam

    Adam, Jan 30, 2013
  13. Adam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Adam wrote:
    [snip]
    I know. It's crazy when you think back huh? I remember back in about 1985
    when the clutch in my beloved 250cc Triumph Tigress scooter got to the point
    where there was no adjustment left and slipped so much it became unridable.

    I had a 'big bike' as well but the Tigress was a nifty thing. Wiki reckons
    it would do 70mph but a couple of times I clocked mine at close to 80mph. I
    used to have to travel 8 miles of unsealed roads before I hit tarmac back
    then and it was *sooo* much fun when I had to cross a ridge of gravel
    [usually due to oncoming cars] at >50mph with 10" wheels! It actually
    handled quite well and I really liked it. Wiki says they suffered from
    mechanical issues http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Tigress/BSA_Sunbeam
    but mine was as reliable as you could wish for.

    Anyway, as you know I live in NZ. Around 1985 Triumph didn't really exist
    but I contacted the ex-Triumph dealership motorcycle shop in Auckland and
    was told that no parts were available and I was up a certain creek... So
    sad! I kept it for a while but when I moved house I had to part with it and
    I sold it for $20 to a guy who reckoned he had the same engine in a go-kart.
    :(

    A couple of years later I heard that he'd sent to England to some little
    side-street engineering company who made after-market parts for them and had
    replaced the clutch, given it a lick of paint and made a small fortune
    selling it to a collector!

    If people weren't so self-serving he could have told me of this company and
    I'd still have it to this day - and still be riding it (I don't have a 'big
    bike' anymore due to a really bad back but could still ride the Tigress due
    to the upright riding position) - rather than it sitting in a collection.
    Also - and back to the point - if we'd had teh intarwebs then I could have
    Googled and discovered it for myself. I really liked that scoot. There
    haven't been many 'step-throughs' made that can keep up with open-road
    traffic comfortably.

    LOL, rather OT but you asked the question. ;)

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2013
  14. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Looking back, I remember numerous mail orders, occasional phone orders,
    and trips toward or into New York City (about 100 km away) to get to a
    store that carried whatever-it-was. In fact, in NYC there was a store
    that specialized in just that kind of thing, whatever it was. :)
    I go OT (and tend to be verbose) a lot too. In the Mandriva Linux
    newsgroup, I've been in a thread literally called "Off-Topic" for
    several years, although much of it is actually appropriate for that
    newsgroup. Right now, most of it is actually about how to get my
    Thinkpad T60 networked securely under Linux, and how to get it secure
    enough to bring it out to public hotspots. Also a little about a
    homemade "laptop desk" (to be made out of pieces I already have) that I
    can rest on uneven surfaces, and making sure there's plenty of room
    under the computer for good air flow, especially under the CPU. That
    certainly isn't specific to Linux or that distribution, but might be a
    good topic for this or even a general laptop group.

    Adam

    Adam, Feb 4, 2013
  15. Adam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Actually, when I first got into laptops I joined up at
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/ and it turned out to be the best thing I ever
    did. As I have a bit of a collection of ThinkPads (starting from when the
    Pentium M was first used - so they're still useful), some of which I got as
    non-running and, when I have time I work on fixing them up - or making up
    'FrankenPads', the best of two (or more) models.

    Also, for linux on TPads there's http://www.thinkwiki.org a good resource
    even for non-penguins like me. :)

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2013
  16. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Around Rockefeller Center there was "The Dictionary Store", but they had
    an incredible number of books that were indeed dictionaries.
    Swahili-to-Arabic dictionaries, dictionaries of legal terms, Dictionary
    of Newfoundland Slang, you name it.
    I've joined, but haven't really checked out the site yet.
    I hadn't heard of that -- thanks for the link! So far I haven't had
    problems getting Linux running on my T60, but sometimes getting a
    wireless connection at home was a challenge. My next step is to get the
    system secure enough to use at public hotspots, which isn't specific to
    laptops except that my laptop is the only computer I'm likely to use
    away from home.

    We just got 12" (30 cm) of snow. Auckland's weather looks better. :)

    Adam

    Adam, Feb 10, 2013