New to Sun world and have some newbie questions.

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Bo Snyder, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Bo Snyder

    Bo Snyder Guest

    A friend of mine gave me some old sun equiptment that I wish to make use of.

    He gave me a sun sparc 5 with 32 megs of ram, keyboard/mouse, cdrom drive
    and an IBM p200 21 inch monitor for the system.

    There was no hard drive but I found an old 1 gig sca drive in my leftovers.
    I put it in to the sun and set everything up. He also gave me redhat 6.2 (i
    think) for it as well. It boots to the cd and I managed to install redhat
    with no real issues other than its really slow (110mhz system with only 32
    megs of ram). However the optical mouse doesn't appear to work.

    Now I am not sure if this is normal or not, but only 1 red light is lit up
    under the mouse, it looks like ther eshould be 2, but only 1 is lighting up.
    The mouse buttons are working but the mouse pointer doesn't move around at
    all.

    Does this mouse require a speical mouse pad or something or is it just a
    dead optical that needs to be replaced?

    Next question, Since this system only has a 1 gig sca drive, thats quite
    small these days. I have a few spare standard ultra scsi 2 drives (lvd)
    that I could use in an external scsi case. Will they work as the primary
    drive so I can just remove the 1 gig drive from inside the case all
    together? The drives are 9.1 gig fujitsui, 18 gig ibm, and 2 9 gig half
    height ibms.

    And last issue. I really really want to use this monitor as my primary
    monitor on my kvm (standard vga ports). Its an ibm p200 21 incher. I went
    to my local cable store and he let me try all sorts of sun 13w3 to db 15
    adapters but nothing works. I found at ibm's website that the p200 is a
    multisync monitor capable of being driven by standard vga frequencies, what
    cable/adatper do I need exactly so I can use this with standard vga outputs
    on my kvm?

    Thanks for helping out a sun "n00b".

    Bo Snyder, Nov 19, 2003

  2. One LED is non-visible infrared.
    You need the special mousepad, maybe your friend forgot to give
    it to you. You can substitute a Sun ball-type mouse if you cannot
    find the optical pad. All Sun mice are interchangeable.
    Should work, but you will need to label and partition them first.

    Chris Newport, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Bo Snyder

    Steven Hill Guest

    One LED is non-visible infrared.
    Actually - there are postscript file sout there that print a page of dots
    that work as a poor man's mouse mat for Sun optical mouses.

    Be aware that there are two models of Sun optical mouse, and they use
    different pads.

    Steven Hill, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Bo Snyder

    Greg Sellers Guest

    Greg Sellers, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Bo Snyder

    Bo Snyder Guest

    Hey cool, now how do i print this to my ps printer?? I am using an hp
    laserjet IIId with a postscript cartridge in it.

    This would be though windows...

    Bo Snyder, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Bo Snyder

    Bo Snyder Guest

    Well I figured it out. I opened the adobe disller application directly from
    the adobe folder and then I was able to use file and open to open the raw
    pad.ps file (that i created from those ps commands in the above link).

    It made the pdf file and printed great.

    Now my question is this, should I cover this with a 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch
    peice of glass (like what you would find in front of a picutre) so that it
    would be smoother?
    (I am at work so I can't test this right now)

    Bo Snyder, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Bo Snyder

    Bo Snyder Guest

    Well just about 5 minutes ago, someone just gave me a nice Type 4 keyboard
    and matching mouse and mouse pad.

    But is this going to work on my sparc 5?? I thought that the sparc 5 used
    the type 5 keyboards/mice?

    Am I still up the creeek or is the keyboard compatible??

    thanks again in advance...

    Bo Snyder, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Bo Snyder

    Bill Janssen Guest

    If you need a mouse pad I have a few. Where are you located?

    Bill K7NOM

    Bill Janssen, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Bo Snyder

    Bo Snyder Guest

    Well someone actualy gave me a sun type 4 keyboard and mouse and mouse pad
    but I am not sure if that wil lwork with my sun 5.

    I am located in spokane washington though. I could use an extra mouse pad
    if you could spare one though.

    Bo Snyder, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Bo Snyder

    Claus Dragon Guest

    lucky you :)
    they should work without problems ... i once tried a type 5 on an ss
    10, then a type 4, then a type 4 on an ultra 2, then a type 4 on a
    ss20 ... all worked.
    the keybords should be compatible. as someone here said, even type 5s
    identify themselves as type 4 keyboards ...

    Claus Dragon, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Yes.

    Chris Newport, Nov 21, 2003