new versions of VMWare and Nero reboot my computer randomly

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Matt Warnock, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    I'm posting this to a few relevent newsgroups:

    I have a desktop computer w/ an Abit Kt7 raid motherboard, a P4 2.7 ghz
    processor, 368 megs of ram, WinXP Pro and some other stuff. The computer
    runs very fast and very stable except for 1 problem: it reboots randomly.
    Its not very often, maybe once every 2 days for no reason, but there are
    times where it definately happens and times where it happens more often.
    I'm still trying to collect information on it but this is what i know:

    When i run Nero 6 it reboots every time i burn a cd or dvd
    When i run VMWare 4.5 it reboots every time i try to boot an image
    When i run nero 5 it didn't reboot very often , only sometimes - for several
    months, and now, with no changes in hardware or software it reboots every
    time.
    When i run VMWare 3 it never reboots.

    The reboot is very fast, the screen goes blank and i see the bios screen.
    Is there something different with the new version of nero and VMware that
    would cause my hardware to run differently? When i ran an old vmware image
    in vmware 4.5 it didn't reboot, but when i upgraded the image to 4.5, it
    rebooted.

    I'm not sure what kind of diagnostics i can do on this system to figure out
    what's causing it. I don't have any error logs in WindowsXP. It's happened
    on several installations of XP, not just the current one, so i guess its a
    hardware problem.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could try to figure out what's
    going on? Thank you.

    Matt Warnock, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Matt Warnock

    Gareth Jones Guest

    What hard disks do you have??

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    Gareth Jones, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Matt Warnock

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Might try to get a handle on the problem by shutting off "automatic
    restarts" and turning on "system logs".

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=w...UTF-8&selm=OHmtZsxaCHA.460@tkmsftngp08&rnum=2

    <rant = on>
    Of course system logs should have been turned on by default by
    microsoft. But they advertised "no more blue screens in winxp" and
    set the default error action to restarting your computer instead of
    showing you the error with a blue screen. Does that sound like self
    denial by M$? Problems, we don't have problems, just restarts...
    <rant = off>

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    2 80gig Maxtor harddrives in an SATA raid array (raid 0)

    Matt Warnock, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Matt Warnock

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Well there's your problem!
    You haven't got those special drives that allow a P4 to run in an Athlon
    board!
    Silly boy!

    Gareth Jones, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    Thank you for your reply, that was the most useful information i've had so
    far. I turned off the reboot option and i got a blue screen error. It was
    very vague. It said check the event log, but like i said, there was no
    information in there. It said to update the bios, which i did to no avail,
    but what fixed the problem was the suggestion the bluescreen error gave me
    of turning off memory caching/shadowing. Specifically i turned off video
    and bios caching and it hasn't rebooted yet! It will take a couple days of
    testing to make sure that was it, but so far so good. Thank you.

    Matt Warnock, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    yeah, i realized i don't really have a kt-7, well, i do, but not in this
    machine. Its an IS7. my mistake. thanks yo.

    Matt Warnock, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    i obviously spoke too soon. I started receiving blue screen errors. there
    are 3 i receieve:

    the one is the vague message w/ no real error message or code, then i get:

    driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

    the last is:

    bad_pool_caller

    reading up on these errors, its a problem w/ the page file or physical
    memory. i ran the computer w/o a page file and still go the error message,
    and i only have 1 half gig memory stick in so i can't take a memory chip out
    to test it. Any suggestions? possibly trying a new stick of memory and
    seeing if that was it. even if its not you cna't have too much ram!

    Matt Warnock, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Matt Warnock

    *Vanguard* Guest

    Matt Warnock said in news::
    Have you tried using msconfig to reduce the number of startup programs
    to the minimum really needed (or start by disabling them all and then
    reenabling them one at a time until the problem resurfaces)?

    Nero sticks in its NeroCheck program in the startup. It doesn't stay
    loaded, or, it's not supposed to but some users have noted it stays
    loaded. It is a remnant from when they had to check if other CD burn
    software was installed, like Easy CD Creator (CD burn software don't
    seem to cooperate with each other); see
    http://www.nero.com/us/632173734846333.html#3. If you don't have any
    other CD burn software installed then maybe you could try disabling this
    startup program to see if the Nero-VMware incompatibility goes away.
    You'll have to check after removing this startup program if Nero and the
    XP CD burn software (a crippled version from Roxio) will still work
    together or despite each other.

    I'm still using version 5.x of Nero (no bang for the buck to go to
    version 6.x). Don't know if NeroCheck is still used in version 6.x.

    *Vanguard*, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Matt Warnock

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Now we're getting somewhere.

    I've had exactly the same problems with an IS7.
    Now cured.
    I'm 80% certain that the source of the prob was an incompatibility
    between the BIOS SATA version and the windows SATA driver. These MUST be
    the same to ensure stable operation.
    Update the BIOS and also get the matching SATA drivers.

    I'll just mention that the remaining 20% uncertainty is made up of:
    10% the fact that I was using PATA drives with Abit serial converters, I
    switched to a pair of proper SATA's
    10% the fact that I've got it now stable by running the RAID off the
    Silicon image SATA ports not the Intel ones (we've got the IS7-g)

    Gareth Jones, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Matt Warnock

    patrickp Guest

    You could try testing your memory with memtest86, Matt - from
    http://www.memtest.org/

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jun 21, 2004
  12. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    interesting. I have the newest BIOS, but are you refering to the RAID
    controller bios? I believe that is flashable. What should i do to ensure i
    have the matching SATA driver? Should i get it from ABit's website or
    another source, and how do i ensure that its matching?

    thanks!

    Matt Warnock, Jun 23, 2004
  13. Matt Warnock

    Gareth Jones Guest

    The SATA BIOS is embedded in the normal BIOS.
    If you check the Abit site, it normally gives a description of what raid
    BIOS version is present in the different revisions. You can then match
    this up with the driver version number.
    The most current versions of both SHOULD match. But its easy to forget
    (or not be aware) when you update one, to update the other.

    Gareth Jones, Jun 23, 2004
  14. Matt Warnock

    Matt Warnock Guest

    The bios upgrade put it at 3.5.0.3003 and the newest drivers on intel's
    website is 3.5.0.2015 or something. Before i was running version 3.0
    something. The build numbers aren't hte same but the major and minor
    versions are. This seems to have fixed my problem. I've been running
    VMWare a lot and burnt a DVD with no problems. Of course it will take a
    week or so for be to be fully satisfied that it worked, but it has appeared
    to do the trick. Thank you!

    Matt Warnock, Jun 24, 2004
  15. Matt Warnock

    Gareth Jones Guest

    No probs.

    Lets hope it really has fixed it. Our IS7g is a really super machine
    now. Very stable and very fast now - but nero used to cause random BSOD
    stuff all the time before the drivers got sorted.

    Gareth Jones, Jun 24, 2004
  16. Matt Warnock

    Ron O'Quinn Guest

    First thing I'd replace is the power supply. I just had one this past
    weekend doing the same thing (different software though). I venture to
    guess you need an ATX supply at least 400 Watts. Hope that helps.

    Ron O'Quinn, May 4, 2005