New Yahoo group dedicated to Forth on microcontrollers

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Peter Jakacki, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. Sorry if I only lurk and never really pop my head up. I've been a bit
    frustrated at the lack of a group that concentrates more on using the
    Forth language on microcontrollers rather than the language itself or
    PCs so I started one on Yahoo groups.

    To be truthful I'm not one to worry too much about the niceties or
    prettiness of the language, it just happens to be a great machine that
    can be customized into a specialized machine as needed. Forth is always
    fun and fast, long live Forth!

    32-bit micros with a stack of Flash and RAM are so cheap now and Forth
    just fits onto these so beautifully compared to the efforts we used to
    have to go to in implementing them on the little 8-bit'ers. To think
    that on the tip of even my little finger I can fit a Forth development
    and runtime environment, wow! Hook up a terminal an go Forth.

    I like to build up a repository of information on various processors,
    Forths, and applications to help promote Forth in the microcontroller
    world. It's what I love so I ask myself why not put some effort into it?

    If you are interested then you are most welcome, perhaps you can share a
    bit of your Forth or microcontroller experience with all of us.

    Peter Jakacki

    Peter Jakacki, Dec 1, 2008

  2. Peter Jakacki

    Roger Guest

    Though I'm not as interested in hardware as I am in applications
    (exception: SeaForth-40 rocks my socks), any increased Forth exposure
    and community is great. Long live Forth :)

    Roger, Dec 1, 2008

  3. Peter Jakacki

    CBFalconer Guest

    IMO Yahoo groups don't have the wide access and usability of a news
    group. I see you have found comp.lang.forth. How about
    alt.comp.lang.forth? Both should have world-wide access.

    CBFalconer, Dec 1, 2008
  4. I was just having a good read of the [VERY OT]...know what Usenet is?
    thread. Hmmm, newsgroups, let's see:
    1) Many servers drop posts
    2) Sometimes the retention is measured in days
    3) Usenet does not cater for attachments very well (plus see item 1 & 2)
    4) My BigPuddle cable NNTP excels in it's deficiencies

    I have relied upon Usenet since I first got net connected in the mid
    90's. Here in Australia it was a real dog just to find an ISP and then I
    almost had to take out a second mortgage just to get connected on a 14.4
    modem initially. Once I started up'ing the modems all the way to 56K I
    had one ISP that had the hide to charge 45c/MB overlimit, and they used
    to hit me hard. Imagine paying $450/GB (couldn't download that much),
    what a joke.

    Off topic? Oh yeah, Usenet ain't what it used to be. There is a local
    newsgroup aus.electronics, what a foul place to visit. My main lurks are
    CAE and CLF but I think it's the volume of posts that are overwhelming.
    It would be very very nice if there was a filter so all those post could
    be condensed into a knowledge base à la Vannevar Bush Memex but not
    quite so large as a desk :)

    Let's see if I can't post weekly condensed reports to stimulate both
    avenues of information and discussion.

    *Peter*

    Peter Jakacki, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Peter Jakacki

    CBFalconer Guest

    I think you need to know about the following:

    Some free news servers. I use motzarella and gmane.
    <http://www.teranews.com> (1 time charge) (free)
    <http://news.aioe.org> (free)
    <http://dotsrc.org> (free)
    <http://www.x-privat.org/international.php> (free)
    <http://motzarella.org/?language=en> (free)
    <http://dotsrc.org/usenet/>(via://dotsrc.org/usenet/)(free)
    <http://gmane.org/> (mail-lists via news) (free)
    <http://www.newsfeeds.com/signup.htm> (pay)
    <http://www.individual.net/ (low pay)

    CBFalconer, Dec 2, 2008
  6. So set up a Yahoo group and get it gatewayed through gmane so you
    have a two-way NNTP and RSS feed of the same thing. Works for me.

    Clifford Heath, Dec 5, 2008
  7. Peter Jakacki

    rickman Guest

    These are typical newsgroup responses. The OP made a post informing
    people of a new Yahoo group and the only ones heard from are people
    who try to convert him to using newsgroups instead of Yahoo!

    Yahoo is a good medium. If you prefer newsgroups, fine. But don't
    expect everyone to like them.

    BTW, where in the world are Yahoo groups not accessible?

    rickman, Dec 8, 2008
  8. Just don't expect those of us with enough experience
    to know better to be *there* :p

    --
    Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
    5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

    "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
    and we never even know we have the key."
    "Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

    The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

    Michael N. Moran, Dec 9, 2008
  9. Peter Jakacki

    rickman Guest

    Yeah, I guess you got me good Farva... ;^)

    Rick

    rickman, Dec 9, 2008
  10. Peter Jakacki

    Oliver Betz Guest

    usually it's better to join an existing community instead of creating
    another. A large community is (usually) more efficient.

    I never would try to convert an existing and well performing mailing
    list to a newsgroup.

    But I'm strongly against splitting communities.

    Oliver

    Oliver Betz, Dec 10, 2008
  11. Peter Jakacki

    rickman Guest

    Why does this have to split a community? I am active in both types of
    forums as well as mailing lists. None of these are mutually
    exclusive.

    Rick

    rickman, Dec 10, 2008
  12. Peter Jakacki

    Don Seglio Guest

    I recently joined the group and hope it does well, I'm also interested
    in the more practical usage of Forth versus "the fine details of the
    language".

    I'm interested in several embedded CPU's, I have used ATMEL, and MSP430
    CPU's programming them in C and Basic. I have interest in somewhat
    larger chips for projects requiring a little more horsepower. There are
    quite a few choices I tend to like such as the ARM, PIC32, AVR32, and
    Coldfire chips they look interesting while being reasonable in cost. But
    due to the interactive nature of debugging hardware and software I would
    prefer to use FORTH.

    One suggestion though, you might want to consider that new users be on
    moderation until they post a message that is rational, that will keep
    the spammers out somewhat.

    --
    Cecil
    K5NWA

    Don Seglio, Dec 10, 2008
  13. I hang out here a lot, but there is very little about small embedded
    systems.
    And by small, I mean something with less than 32k ROM and/or 2k RAM.
    Oh, and 16bits.
    Where are the discussions about benchmarks on 16bit systems?
    How many readers of clf have used a Forth on a system with 256 bytes
    of RAM?
    It's fun. I look forward to trying SeaForth but it's probably too
    fast and uses too much power for what I do.

    Yes clf is about Forth, but not what I do. So I welcome another
    forum.
    I really like playing close to the hardware.

    Gary

    Gary Bergstrom, Dec 11, 2008