New zero day attack against Quicktime 7.3.1 claimed

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ilgaz Öcal, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Hi,

    I am not saying it is valid or not, check story yourself. The issue
    does NOT get fixed via blocking RTSP port (554), it does abuse the
    automatic fallback of Quicktime to HTTP (port 80) when RTSP/UDP blocked
    instead. It does via overflowing it by sending a long string of html
    error code.

    Details here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080111/tc_cmp/205602310

    While it is zero day and it is reported to be working, guy doesn't brag
    like MOAB idiots by crashing peoples browser. While I don't agree with
    "don't report to vendor, call the press" attitude, at least it is
    currently reported as a .txt file and exploit is "demoed" via manual
    shell commands on users part.

    That is a crasher for now but it is NOT fixed via RTSP blocking. I
    better say again. Don't block RTSP thinking it will prevent it. Hope
    Apple will act very quick this time.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Jan 11, 2008