newbe sound blaster live! 24bit pci card question....

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by bob brozewicz, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. hi all,

    im thinking about buying a sound blaster live! 24 bit pci card to
    replace my onboard realtek ac97 sound card. you cant beat the price at
    $24 to $29

    the sound quality will be better just because, im assuming and still
    reading and looking for reviews and articles.

    my question is this! does a sound card act as a video card where the
    sound card will free cycles from the processor. when i play music using
    windows media player my systems slows considerably when using other
    applications at the same time such as firefox and thunderbird.

    im running a gateway 310s with an intel thrasher r1 mother board, a
    celeron d 2.8 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, an ati 9200 pci video card
    and an antec 350 watt power supply and five internal fans. this rig does
    o.k. for what i use it for.

    im also thinking of replacing the processor with a pentium iv x.x ghz
    processor, but thats another story to discuss somewhere else.

    any comments or links to reviews on the creative sound blaster live! 24
    bit pci card would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

    i'll continue to look on my own also.

    bob brozewicz
    pittsburgh, pa.

    bob brozewicz, Aug 4, 2005

  2. one other thing to ask, will this card work with creative inspire t300
    2.1 speakers?

    bob brozewicz, Aug 4, 2005

  3. bob brozewicz

    Folk Guest

    Yes. Onboard sound solutions (like your Realtek) use the CPU for
    signal processing. The SBLive card has a built-in digital signal
    processor that will offload the work from the CPU.

    Windows Media Player is probably a bit of a resource hog. I recommend
    Winamp version 2.1. It's an older version but works great and has a
    small footprint.

    Folk, Aug 4, 2005
  4. this is exactly what i have read so far.
    ill see if i can find/download from the winamp site. there is also a wmp
    replacement on sourceforge that is open source and suppose to be lighter
    on resource consumption. i'll try and find this one as well.

    thanks for taking the time to responded to my post. much appreciated.

    bob b.

    bob brozewicz, Aug 5, 2005
  5. bob brozewicz

    Shep© Guest

    There are loads of good mp3 players around.Even the software that come
    with your sound card will play them.Winamp is not that good
    IMHO.However there are some people who stick to it like it's religion.

    Shep©, Aug 6, 2005
  6. bob brozewicz

    tod Guest

    The Sound Blaster live 24-bit does not free up CPU cycles
    like the Audigy cards.
    The Live 24-bit is crippled to force the drivers to use the CPU
    for sound processing.
    You would need to get the Audigy 2 value to get the advantage
    of freeing up CPU cycles for the sound

    tod, Sep 15, 2005