    decoder? Which output would I use?
    Thanks
    Graham

    Graham, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Graham

    Lenny Guest

    I'd say 5.1 speakers, preferably. :) Of at least decent quality, but most
    such systems selling with an included decoder are of decent quality anyway.
    (My personal recommendation: Logitech Z-680. One word: awesome.)
    Yes, for the Live series you do, as these cards can't output 5.1 analog.
    Also, 5.1 output will only work with previously encoded material (read: DVD
    movies), when using the digital output. The only computer sound solution so
    far that can output realtime-encoded 5.1 audio is the Nvidia NForce chipset,
    so games etc will not be in 5.1 audio with a Live soundcard. There you have
    to fall back to the standard 4-channel analog outputs.
    The spdif plug (likely of the coaxial type), though it could be optical
    TOSLink too. You'll find appropriate cables in a hifi store.

    Lenny, Jan 12, 2004