    64bit - irritated that my 4gb of ram only comes up as 3 because of the 32
    bit ruling - would I need to wait for that first before doing anything ?
    Using Windows 7 now, though.

    Phil, Sep 24, 2009

  2. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Oh yeah - Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
    I also intend to get a Zalman cooler the 9500, as the cooler that came with
    the chip is loud and not too good. Also, those bloody plastic fittings to
    fix in the Intel 775 are ridiculous aren't they ?

    Phil, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Very surprised I haven't received ANY advice.
    The talent on this newsgroup is clear, just a little surprised.

    Phil, Sep 26, 2009
  4. Phil

    Fishface Guest

    Step-by-step sounds like a lot of trouble. You already have
    your system together, you have that little tiny aluminum
    Intel cooler with the push pins installed, but plan to take it
    apart to put on a new cooler? Ok.

    First back up your system, preferably to another drive or
    at least partition. I recommend Macrium Reflect or Reflect
    Free. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

    When you enter the bios, press <ctrl> + F1 to give you
    some advanced options. Go to the section called
    "Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker." Set the "CPU Host
    Clock" to Enabled. Set your "System Memory Multiplier"
    to 2.0 will run the memory synchronously. Lower your
    "CPU Clock Ratio" from the 10.5 maximum default to
    8 for now. Set the "CPU Host Frequency" to 400. This
    will give you 8 x 400 = 3.2 GHz. Make sure it is getting
    the voltage specified by the mfr. The combination of
    "CPU Host Frequency" and "System Memory Multiplier"
    will change the value shown in "Memory Frequency."
    At a value of 800 (or less) the memory is within spec.

    Then you test...

    First test memory stability with Memtest 86+ or similar
    booted from a CD or Flash Drive. Then run Prime 95
    making sure that both cores are being used to ensure
    stability. Monitor CPU temperatures with CoreTemp:
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

    After this it's hours of trial and error, trying to run the RAM
    faster than spec, and with lower timings, and trying faster
    CPU speeds and varying voltages to achieve a stable
    overclock that you are happy with. How fast can you go?
    The answer relates closely to the question, "How much
    time do you want to spend?" Anandtech was only able to
    achieve 3.57 GHz with their E6300 sample, and it required
    a voltage increase of .1v to get there. Samples will vary.

    What I would do until you get your new cooler would be to
    try 3.2 - 3.4 GHz on default voltage, or a few hundredths
    of a volt more.

    Fishface, Sep 27, 2009
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Fishface, appreciate your efforts !
    It may well be a lot of trouble, but you've made a noble effort !
    Cheers, mate.

    Phil, Sep 27, 2009
  6. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Anandtech - did they use the old E6300 ?
    There's been two - the first was 1.87ghz, and this one is 2.8 ghz.
    I have read of the overclocking the old one, this one is quite recent.
    Also, used the core temp prog, and it's showing about 5 degrees hotter than
    the other two temp progs I have used.

    Anandtech was only able to

    Phil, Sep 28, 2009
  7. Phil

    Fishface Guest

    Nope. That one had an 8x cpu multiplier.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3572&p=3
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3572&p=11
    The first paragraph on the linked page states:

    The temperature readings are very accurate as the data is collected from
    a Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual proces-
    sing core, near the hottest part. This sensor is digital, which means it doesn't
    rely on an external circuit located on the motherboard to report temperature,
    its value is stored in a special register in the processor so any software can
    access and read it. This eliminates any inaccuracy that can be caused by
    external motherboard circuits and sensors and then different types of
    programs trying to read those sensors.

    Fishface, Sep 28, 2009
  8. Phil

    Phil Guest

    By the way, FF - used your excellent, simple guide, and it's now running
    quite happily at 3400.
    Temps little different to what they were before. Once again, cheers, mate.

    Phil, Sep 29, 2009