Newbie needs help with photo attachments to email (AOL, Mac, Firefox)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Newbie, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    [I had posted earlier but this is a fuller and clearer account. All
    help will be appreciated.]

    A relative has just switched from the classic dialup AOL account to DSL
    from another ISP but signed up for a free aol address, which she is now
    trying to access via Firefox on a G5 imac.

    Her problem are with receiving photo attachments:

    (1) The message displays the photos in a huge size. You have to scroll
    quite a lot just to get sense of of what is on the screen.

    Q: Is there any setting, at AOL or Firefox, that would automatically
    size the photo to fit the window?

    (2)There is no obvious link to save the photos to the computer. She
    gets an option to save by right-clicking on the picture itself, but
    this saves an attached file ABC.jpg as something like
    "Getattachment.aspx". When she double-clicks the .aspx
    file, the mac doesn't know how to open it. (What is "aspx"?)

    Q: How can we get attached files to be saved with original names and
    extensions?

    (Keeping names would be important in those situations when there are
    several attachments and the message includes some commentary about
    individual files.

    Renaming the saved files is not a good option, because except in
    controlled test cases she wouldn't automatically know what the attached
    names and extensions were.)

    FWIW I don't face this problem on my Yahoo mail. The same email shows
    photos as postage-stamp size icons, with original names, and links to
    view or save.

    Thanks.

    Newbie, Jun 3, 2007

  2. Newbie

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    AOL is far and away the least reliable email services. I routinely see
    situations where AOL filters out desirable messages. Your relative's
    best bet is to either use email via her DSL provider's service or sign
    up for a free gmail address.

    Shawn Hirn, Jun 3, 2007

  3. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    We didn't talk about it, but I think she is in the usual trap. Over the
    years she has given out her email address to hundreds of family,
    business, and social contacts worldwide and she hasn't kept a list of
    everyone she gave her email to. So, the path of least resistance is to
    keep the same email address.

    (Of course, I can try to persuade her to start migrating to another
    free address and keep both for a while. Which one is best?)
    I am a newbie myself and have only used Yahoo's webmail with Safari,
    just that I have been lucky not to run into any major problems.

    Anyway, I would be grateful if you or others could tell me how to use
    Mail.app with AOL. Do we have to change some setting at AOL? Where do I
    specify in Mail to go to AOL?

    Going furhter, let's say she gets two accounts (with the idea of
    eventually dumping AOL). How does she tell Mail to go to one or other?

    This is just my newbie confusion. I amsure the answers are obvious to
    all Mail.app users. We would appreciate some pointers.

    Newbie, Jun 3, 2007
  4. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    As I stated in another post, they have used AOL for many years and
    given that email address to hundreds of people worldwide, so want to
    keep that address.

    They would like to be able to switch ISP's in future and therefore not
    start using that address.

    I could try to persuade them to open a free account at Yahoo or gmail
    and start migrating to it, while keeping AOL as long as they feel the
    need.

    Newbie, Jun 3, 2007
  5. Newbie

    tacit Guest

    Apparently, youre not familiar with Tiscali (whose email servers just
    fell over and lost thousands of emails, and which has just been added to
    anti-spam blocklists); PlusNet (which in a security breach lost its
    entire subscriber database to Eastern European spammers, who jammed
    their mail servers s full that the servers crashed); Hotmail (which has
    intermittently been deleting emails over the past few months as
    Microsoft implements new antispam measures); Blueyonder (whose email
    servers ave been in yoyo mode for years--up and down and up and down)...

    AOL is fair-to-middling in reliability; nowhere near the top, but
    nowhere near the bottom either.

    tacit, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Newbie

    Cliff Guest

    Turn off the filters.
    If using AOL software add the addresses to your AOL address book too.

    Cliff, Jun 4, 2007
  7. Newbie

    Cliff Guest

    And at least one of their abuse addresses bounces SPAM complaints
    AS SPAM, just as Yahoo will do if more than 2 or 3 are sent per hour.
    Both are much loved by 419 SCAM SPAMMERS.

    Cliff, Jun 4, 2007
  8. Newbie

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    That's not the only problem with AOL. I work for a university where I
    see AOL delivery problems all the time. Their biggest problem is how
    they allow as few as ten subscribers to mark a message as spam, which
    then adds the address for the last hop of the message (not the
    originating address) to their system wide spam filter. This blocks
    everyone on that address even though no one there originated the spam in
    the first place.

    Further, AOL also has an annoying habit of informing other postmasters
    of such events without including any header details at all, which itself
    amounts to spam. No amount of complaining up AOL's corporate ladder has
    resolved that problem.

    Also, I routinely see messages that contain only one URL (all text) get
    bounced from AOL users who I know have no filters on their account. Same
    with image files. I see it all the time when I send out a message to a
    mailing list I am on and the list's manager gets an AOL bounce (or none
    at all) and the AOL subscriber never receives the mail.

    Shawn Hirn, Jun 4, 2007
  9. Newbie

    Cliff Guest

    Added back crosspost list so they can see your reply.

    I think Gmail deletes accounts if SPAM is complained about
    using their online form at https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_security2
    No telling what they might later add to "free" accounts ... some
    such are full of advertising & very slow to boot ...

    Cliff, Jun 8, 2007