Newbie POWER SUPPLY questions related to my MOBO w/FULL-TOWER (ATX) Chassis . . .

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by CURIOUS ANGEL, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm researching new 500-Watt Quiet PSU's and need a refresher on the
    specific criterion I should be looking for so the new PSU's like both
    my motherboards and my (ATX) chassis. It's been four years since I
    lined up parts to hand over to my technician and I apparently didn't
    keep the notes I originally made when I/they first built these SCSI
    Systems. That -- and the emergence of new SATA HDD's -- prompts my
    request for help knowing what, specifically, my Supermicro Motherboards
    are capable of handling with some of the newer PSU's and SATA HDD's now
    hitting the market. I'm fairly certain of two statistics on my current
    PSU's --
    ......they're 115 Volt
    ......they contain 12cm fans

    Here's a fine example of specs I'm trying to navigate:
    Nexus NX-5000 500-Watt Quiet PSU
    ______EPS12V
    ______ATX 2.01 FORM FACTOR
    ______SLI
    ______Dual PCI-Express
    ______(6) Molex 4-pin connectors
    ______(3) SATA connectors
    ______(2) Floppy conectors

    The 4-pin Molex power plugs and the (2) floppy power cables are
    familiar to me; but are EITHER of my Motherboards -and/or- my type of
    Chassis
    1.) "EPS" (eg. EPS 12V) Voltage specific?
    2.) ATX _version number_ (eg. ATX 2.01~) specific?
    3.) "SLI" . . . ? clueless
    4.) "PCI-Express" . . . capable? (I don't even know what this is lol)
    5.) SATA capable?

    Currently I have only ATA and SCSI HDD's; but I'd like these power
    supplies to be SATA-capable for future expansion purposes. Thank you
    for any help. See my System Specs below for more detail.

    Angel

    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

    I have two Full-Tower (ATX) Systems built with two different SCSI
    Supermicro Motherboards:
    P6DGU <1000 MHz X 2>
    P6DBS <850 MHz X 2>

    Each System is a Dual-PIII (Windows 2000 Pro) standalone System.
    Each System is housed in identical 6-Bay Full-Tower (ATX) Chassis.
    Each Chassis currently has installed two 80mm Panaflo™ Quiet Fans.
    The Chassis Mfg. indicates "room for three 8cm 2nd fans".

    CURIOUS ANGEL, Aug 29, 2005

  2. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'CURIOUS ANGEL' wrote:
    -
    _____

    And the question is?

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Aug 29, 2005

  3. I think the OP wants to know if a Nexus NX-5000 500-Watt Quiet PSU (or
    similar) will fit into a standard ATX form-factor chassis and be compatible
    with his SM P6DGX series motherboards. He also wants to know if the
    P6DGX's will run a SATA HDD. My guess is that the answers are "yes,"
    "yes," and "yes, if you add a SATA controller" but I am not sure about any
    of those answers, I'm just trying to restate the question.

    William Asher, Aug 29, 2005
  4. No idea.
    The manual for my P6DBE (and all the other models in that series) says it needs
    an ATX 2.01 PSU.
    No idea.
    No. That's a newer form of PCI mainly intended for video cards. You'll need a
    motherboard that's less than a year old to have this capability.
    Not natively. If you have a spare PCI slot then you could add a SATA controller
    to them.
    A few of your local currency units will get you a Y shaped cable with a 4 pin
    socket on one end and a pair of SATA power connectors on the other. Much cheaper
    than a new PSU.

    Trevor Hemsley, Aug 29, 2005
  5. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Gollum Guest

    As Phil said " and the question is?"

    Any power supply with adequate wattage and the correct connectors
    should work.

    If you are not replacing the mb's the SLI and PCI-e are not relevent.
    PCI-e is the latest PCI type and allows you to use one of the PCI
    slots for graphics (PCI-e x16) instead of AGP. SLI is a way to connect
    two special PCI-e graphics cards together using two PCI-e x8 slots and
    a hardware bridge that clips onto the two graphics cards. Both
    technologies need to be built into the mb.

    As far as SATA. If the power supply doesn't have these connectors (
    most do) you can use an adapter. BUT as I understand it your SCSI
    drives are faster than SATA II. Serial ATA ( I & II) has a ways to go
    yet before it becomes "must have" technology. SATA is barely faster
    than ATA.

    Gollum

    Gollum, Aug 31, 2005