Newbie question: Synchronizing two Macs?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by arun, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. arun

    arun Guest

    Hello.

    My apologies if this is not the correct forum for this question. (If
    that is the case, please point me to the correct forum.)

    I have an older G4 desktop (bought in Jan. 2003, dual G4 1GhZ) and a
    very new iBook G4. I would like to know if there is an easy way I can
    synchronize my mail, bookmarks, calendar and perhaps even iTunes
    playcounts between them, without using something that I would have to
    continually pay for. (I.e., without using .mac.)

    My desktop machine has an 80G hard drive, which is mostly full. My
    iBook has a 30G hard drive, so I can't jsut copy from one to the
    other. (Even if I could figure out how to do that easily. At this
    point, I have to use the network connection, and that feels clunky.)

    Both computers are using 10.3

    I'd like to be able to set up something where I can just hit "go" and
    have the two computers share the data that has been changed since the
    last time there saw each other.

    Is there anyway I can do this?

    Thanks,
    Arun

    (As a side question, I can't get any control characters to work on my
    Desktop's terminal. I've trashed the preferences file, but that
    didn't change anything. (other than the backgroud color.))

    arun, Jun 8, 2004

  2. There are many utilities that can do this for you. Just go to
    www.macupdate.com and search for "synchronize".

    Johan W. Elzenga, Jun 8, 2004

  3. G. Michael Paine, Jun 10, 2004
  4. If he doesn't understand 'www.macupdate.com', he will certainly not
    understand "add a protocol identifier in front".

    Try <http://www.macupdate.com>

    Johan W. Elzenga, Jun 10, 2004
  5. arun

    domanova Guest

    And when he does I hope he will do himself a favor and take a look at
    ChronoSync. I've used ChronoSync 5 days a week for over a year, now,
    to sync my Powerbook and iMac. It works perfectly and allows one a
    great deal of flexibility in defining _what_ gets synchronized _when_.
    It's not the only good file synchronization utility out there, but I
    just had to plug it because it has been so reliable and easy to use
    from day one.

    domanova, Jun 11, 2004