    Also, I am confused on LCD types. Is TFT and Active active matrix
    screens the same thing? If not, which is better?

    Thanks

    Sam, Mar 6, 2004

  2. TFT and Active Matrix are the same.

    However, there are some "sub categories" within these classifications,
    and not all TFT screens are created equal. The characteristics that
    count are:

    -Brightness
    -Contrast Ratio
    -Response Time
    -Physical dimensions
    -Pixel counts (HxV)

    Note that most laptop models may use more than one screen panel model;
    for example, some Toshiba 1755's were built with Unipack screens, others
    had Hitachi screens. In this case, there was NO way to tell which a
    given unit had without taking the laptop lid apart. But that does not
    mean that the two screens are necessarily equal. Presumably both meet
    the laptop spec (which may omit quite a few of the above parameters
    completely), but that does not mean that one of the screens might not be
    better than the other screen.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Sam

    Gordon Scott Guest

    ask in van.forsale
    or call mike or rory @ 604 581-1244
    ps futureshop sucks, plenty of low end notebooks need service, and dont
    expect any of that kind of personal service or knowledgableness from the
    wage slaves at FS

    Gordon
    Gordon

    Gordon Scott, Mar 7, 2004