Newbie with computer freezing and occasional DLL errors - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kimberley, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Kimberley

    Kimberley Guest

    I am running Millenium Operating System (I hear it is one of the least
    liked OS) on my HP computer. The computer seems to have slowed down
    over the past few months and I am recieving DLL errors. Software, in
    particular, Outlook and Explorer tend to freeze up. The other problem
    is that sometimes (not always) when the Start button is clicked on to
    access programs or shutdown, it freezes. When I check the hard drive
    it states that there is 7.9 of 20 GB used. And if it is of any use, I
    do have a surge protect power bar for the computer.

    I have ran the spyware Adaware and did a complete recovery of the
    computer bringing it back to its original state and that has not
    resolved the problem. Could this simply be OS problems and I need to
    upgrade or is it possibly something else? Any suggestions?

    Yours truly,

    Frustrated Newbie

    Kimberley, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Kimberley

    Aaron Guest

    If you completely reinstalled everything, as in all your files were
    deleted, you shouldn't have any problems. Usually the factory
    installations are (mostly) bug free.

    As more Windows Millenium Edition (ME) being a bad operating system, I
    don't think so. I have used it for a year on two computers, and I
    have few problems. It probably depends more on how you take care of
    it, and what you use it for.

    As far as suggestions, run a virus scan. Also do Scandisk (under
    Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools). Go into Conrrol Panel,
    and select Add/Remove Programs. Then go through the list,
    uninstalling the ones you don't use anymore. If you don't know what
    something does, don't uninstall it. Another thing that might help is
    to clean out the cache for Internet Explorer (IE). In IE 6, it goes
    like this:

    Open IE 6, and then select Tools from the menu, and Internet Options.
    Then on the General tab, select Delete Cookies, and Delete Files.
    This cleans out the temporary things that your computer uses to make
    your Internet experience faster (in theory).

    Let me know if that's too complicated for you, and I will try to
    explain better.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Kimberley

    ray Guest

    dll errors and gnrl OS corruption can happen over a period of time due
    to installing and un-installing programs.. switch to win2k or xp, a
    clean format n install would be a better option... if u dont wanna go
    for that, try updating whatever software u can... and uninstalling
    whatever software you dont need...

    ray, Jun 8, 2004