    added." What do I need to do to be able to use a 85 Hz refresh rate the
    way I have before (and why are Asus's video drivers so lousy now)?

    Please Help.

    Anonymous, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Anonymous

    KC Computers Guest

    I upgraded to Windows 98SE and installed the latest Asus v56.55 video
    Did you try downloading the latest driver directly from the
    graphics chip manufacturer (www.nvidia.com)? That
    may solve the problem.

    KC Computers, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    YanquiDawg,
    I tried HZTool but it didn't work. Why do Asus Drivers suck so hard now?
    I can't even believe I'm having this problem. I have been using my monitor
    for years @ 85 Hz and now it only goes to 75 Hz.

    Anonymous, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Kevin,
    thanks for your suggestion. However I cannot use the native nVidia drivers
    because I would lose my ViVo TV functions.

    Why do Asus Drivers suck so hard? I can't even believe I'm having this
    problem. I have been using my monitor for years @ 85 Hz and now it only
    goes to 75 Hz. If I can't get a resolution to this problem, I'll have to
    downgrade these sh!#y drivers until they work right. Damn Asus and their
    IMO sh!#y driver programmers.

    Anonymous, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Anonymous

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Does 98se recognize your monitor correctly?

    You may need to install the correct monitor "drivers". (Quotes used because
    the "drivers" are usually just an .inf file.)

    Just a guess.

    Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden, Dec 5, 2004
  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I have the correct INF file. The problem is the Asus 56.55 driver will not
    allow me to override the refresh rate. Some IMO idiot driver programmer at
    either Asus or nVidia removed this feature from the older 6.31c 98 drivers.
    Now I'm forced to look at the screen in 75 Hz.

    The 56.55 driver seems to not allow higher refresh rates to the point of
    enforcing them. I surmise this because I tried using both HZTool and
    RefreshLock utilities to obtain the higher 85 Hz rate. ReFreshLock has a
    feature which "forces" a higher refresh rate and you can set the number of
    times it will attempt this. Even if set at 30 times, and I don't recommend
    you do this to your monitor, every time it changed, the IMO sh!#y Asus
    drivers reduced it back to 75 Hz.

    Since I have been researching this on the 'Net, it appears that this has
    been an ongoing problem with nVidia/Asus drivers for years. nVidia/Asus
    seems to have never bothered to correct it. Someone should force both
    nVidia and Asus driver programmers to look at screens set at 60 Hz for a
    few months. This way they'll learn not to forget a refresh rate override
    feature. I can't even believe I'm spending so much time trying to fix this
    problem. IMO, Asus or nVidia seem to believe they can IMO cut corners in
    their driver programming and allow users (me) to waste their time trying to
    figure out fixes to their IMO bugs.

    Anonymous, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Anonymous

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Sorry to hear it.

    As I have used only cards without video in, I've stuck with the nVidia
    reference drivers. I haven't had any trouble getting the refresh rates my
    monitor supports. (Currently running a custom 1368X1026 at 85 Hz on a Sony
    CRT.)

    (snip)

    Bob Knowlden, Dec 6, 2004
  8. Anonymous

    P2B Guest

    OK, but is the INF file correct? It may well be that "Some IMO idiot
    driver programmer" is now enforcing the modes listed in the INF file. It
    wouldn't be the first time a monitor INF file had an incomplete list of
    modes supported by the hardware...

    P2B, Dec 6, 2004
  9. Anonymous

    John Smithe Guest

    Try asking here:

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php?s=1f618d48094033d67214d207fd484bf
    6&

    John Smithe, Dec 6, 2004
  10. Anonymous

    Jbob Guest

    Just a thought but can you edit the .inf file and make it work?

    Jbob, Dec 9, 2004
  11. Anonymous

    KrVaVi SaLe Guest

    Hi.
    Well I got a same problem. Plugged in Leadtek GF4 Ti4600 WinFast A250 Ultra
    TD in old rig,
    installed drivers and can't get refresh over 75 Hz at any resolution/color
    depth.
    With MSI GF4 Ti4800 all worked well, so this is basicaly the same card, only
    from diferent manufacturer
    and I can't figure out where I went wrong?
    Here's some specs:
    Celeron Tualatin 1.4
    Asus TUSL2-C Intel 815
    17" Eizo T57S with Its own inf., capable of 100 [email protected]
    Windows 98 SE
    Direct X 9
    Tried with official Leadtek drivers, generic nVida newest drivers and 50.72,
    same thing always.
    Waiting both hands opened for a big hug someone with help ;) :D :))
    Forward thanks

    KrVaVi SaLe, Dec 11, 2004