Newly built P4 3.2 on ASUS P4P800-Deluxe does not boot - "System failed due to CPU over-clocking"

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Norman Woo, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Norman Woo

    Norman Woo Guest

    Hi folks

    Just put together a new P4 system for video editing:

    - Matrox Parhelia in the AGP slot
    - Proview LCD Monitor connected to the main DVI connector (bottom of
    the Parhelia) using the DVI-to-HD15 adapter.
    - ASUS P4P800 Deluxe MB
    - Intel 3.2 Gig (Prescott version)
    - 2 x 512 Kingston memory (in memory slot A1 and B1)
    - Maxtor 80 Gig as Master drive (unformatted) on Primary IDE
    - Maxtor 120 Gig as Slave drive (unformatted) on Primary IDE
    - Pioneer A08 DVD as Master on Secondary IDE
    - Speakers connected
    - Antec True Power 550 Watts
    - Floppy drive with Partition Magic 8 to prepare the 2 HDs

    Upon booting the system for the very first time, I noticed the
    following:

    1) No video (No signal displayed on the LCD Monitor)
    2) Green light on MB was on
    3) CPU Fan was spinning
    4) Power supply fan is also working
    5) System LED in front of case is on
    6) HD LED light in front of case goes on and then off
    7) No beeps
    8) After a few seconds, a female voice goes on and says "System failed
    due to CPU over-clocking"

    I turn off the computer and disconnect power cord and wait for green
    light to go off. Then I reset the RTC by removing the CMOS battery
    and shorting pin 2-3 of the CLRTC1 for a few seconds and then back to
    1-2. Put back the CMOS battery. Rebooted the computer and get the same
    voice message.

    What is strange is that I am not getting any video signal from the
    Parhelia.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Norman Woo, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Norman Woo

    Norman Woo Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:52:14 -0500, Norman Woo <>
    wrote:

    Well folks, I got it working finally ...

    It seems that the BIOS version on the P4P800 Deluxe MB was at 1012 and
    that did not support the Intel 3.2 Prescott chip. I needed to upgrade
    the BIOS to at least 1016 but to this the system had to be bootable
    and in order to boot, it needs the latest BIOS version. As you can
    see a "which came first the chicken or egg" dilemma.

    Luckily I had an Intel P2.4.C CPU in one of my other system, so I
    "borrowed" it and was able to boot up my new system. Flashed the BIOS
    and away we go .... Everything is hunky dory now ...

    Just wondering how one handles this predicament if you did not have an
    extra CPU to "kickstart" the system? How about developing a bootable
    floppy bootstrap mechanism regardless if the CPU is not there or
    fried?

    Hmmm, could be a million-dollar idea for someone to look at ... (just
    give me 10% as seeding this idea ... (grin)).

    Happy holidays and new year to all.

    Regards

    Norman Woo, Jan 3, 2005