Newly built PC with a few problems.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ftran999, May 14, 2004.

  1. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    This is my first time building my own system so bare with me.
    The setup: Asus p4c800-e deluxe rev 2.00 motheboard
    Antec plus1080amg case
    Pentium 4 3.0c processor
    1 pair of cosair twinx1024-3700 memory in blue slots
    Radeon 9800 pro video card
    Western Digital Raptor WD360GD Hard drive in SATA 1
    Teac floppy Drive
    Toshiba DVD/CD-rom Drive set as master
    Sony DRU-510a DVD/RW drive set as slave
    both DVD drives attached to primary IDE.
    using a Dell Keyboard and mouse and a Dell 17" trinitron
    monitor from my current system.

    When I press the power button the following happens:
    All fans, PSU, CPU, chassis, video card, turn on.
    HD starts up, green light on floppy drive lights up, and the 3 green lights
    on the KB blinks.

    Now for the problems.
    There is no display at all on the Monitor. The power light will change from
    green to yellow indicating it has gone into sleep mode. Tapping on the KB
    or mouse will not wake it up.
    Also both DVD drive do not seem to be functioning. That is, the green
    lights don't come on and I am unable to open both drawers by pushing the
    eject button.

    I have tried the following solutions, a few perhaps useless, to no avail:
    Removed and reinstalled CPU and the video card. Removed and reattached
    Monitor cable. Moved the memory modules from the blue slots to the black
    slots. Remove the DVD drives from the Prim. IDE and attached them to the
    secondary IDE connector. Removed and reattached the 4 pin wire from the
    PSU on both DVD drives.
    I did not touch any of the jumpers on the board.
    Thanks in advance.

    ftran999, May 14, 2004

  2. ftran999

    Paul Guest

    The only symptom that spoiled it for me, was the flashing keyboard
    lights. I think that only happens if the processor talks to the
    keyboard ? I don't think the keyboard controller does that on its
    own.

    Otherwise, check that the 2x2 ATX 12V cable is connected to the
    board. On a P4 board, you need the 20 pin ATX power and the 2x2
    pin power, for the processor to be able to start. While you are
    at it, make sure the aux power cable is connected to the Radeon.

    For debugging, plug in and use the Voice POST. Voice POST is
    hard wired to the Lineout connector on the back of the
    computer. For Lineout to work, make sure the two jumpers are
    on the FP_AUDIO 2x5 header. Listen for a message from "bitchin
    betty" while the computer first starts. Amplified speakers or
    a stereo are recommended for Lineout.

    Voice POST works even with no components in the board. With no
    processor, it'll tell you that no processor is installed. You
    can start building up a system bit by bit, and the Voice POST
    can help you figure out whether the new component is working
    or not.

    You can also buy a PCI/ISA "POST Card", which is a device with
    two seven segment displays on it. The BIOS writes two digit
    codes to the display during the boot process, which is an
    alternate way of getting a hint as to what is broken.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2004

  3. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    Thanks for your response. I checked out all the connections as you
    suggested and they turned out fine.
    Then I used the Voice POST as you had suggested. I got a message saying
    "System failed CPU test." As suggested in the manual, I check to see if the
    CPU was attached properly but that still did not help. I assume this means
    I have a bad cpu.
    Aslo on the bottom of the heatsink is some grey gunk (for lack of a better
    word). I didn't remove it but was I suppose to.
    Thanks again for your help.

    ftran999, May 15, 2004
  4. ftran999

    Paul Guest

    The "System failed CPU test" isn't directly determined by the
    Voice POST. It doesn't really know what is happening. The
    way it works is, when the power is first applied, the
    Voice POST chip starts a timer, and it is up to the CPU
    to execute some BIOS code, go down to the Voice POST chip,
    and clear the timer. If the CPU doesn't make it to that section
    of code, the timer on the Voice POST expires, and the "System
    failed CPU test" will be heard on your amplified speakers.
    Some people own computers, where the motherboard is perfectly
    healthy, and they hear that stupid message during every boot!

    The memory test message is triggered in a similar fashion. A
    timer is started before the memory test code runs, and
    if the CPU doesn't finish the memory test code in time, the
    memory failure message comes from the speakers.

    The other Voice POST error messages are generated under
    supervision of the processor, making them a slightly more
    reliable indicator of a problem.

    You might pull the motherboard from the case, and assemble it
    while it is sitting on an insulator (a piece of cardboard).
    Some people have problems when a short develops somewhere in
    their install, so the "cardboard test", adding one component
    at a time, can help identify what is causing the problem.

    The "grey gunk" is thermal grease, and its function is to fill
    any air gap that develops between the CPU and the heatsink.
    Hobbyists generally clean this off, and apply some fresh
    compound on every reassembly. The only problem with reusing
    it, is you could get some air bubbles in there. As the P4 has
    a heat spreader, the application of thermal grease isn't quite
    as critical as it is on an Athlon XP (bare die). Use a minimal
    amount of compound - only a tiny bit should squish out when
    the heatsink is reassembled.

    Based on your DVD drive symptoms, it almost sounds like the
    +5V isn't being supplied to them, as generally the +5V powers
    the controller board on disk drives, and the +12V powers the
    motors and/or actuators. If you own a voltmeter/multimeter, you
    might want to check for available power on a drive cable.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 15, 2004
  5. ftran999

    Anon Guest

    I have an ATI 9800 Pro AIO. It has a seperate power connector. If yours has
    one, did you connect it?

    Anon, May 15, 2004
  6. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    I don't have the AIO card but the card I have has a set of wires which
    splits into the connectors. One connects to the power supply unit and the
    other connects to the power input of the hard drive.

    ftran999, May 15, 2004
  7. ftran999

    Paul Guest

    The ATI9800 should connect to its own private drive power
    cable. You should not share the same cable with a disk.
    Power consumption is claimed to be [email protected] and [email protected] or so,
    and the 10A number is high enough, that no other loads should
    be on the same power cable.

    You should also post the make, model number, and power rating
    of your power supply, as it is possible one of the rails
    is overloaded.

    Paul

    Paul, May 15, 2004
  8. ftran999

    ftran999 Guest

    I was just going by the instructions in the manual which stated: Connect
    B to the power supply cable. Connect C to hard drive power connector.
    The power supply came installed with the case (Antec plus1080amg). It is
    rated at 430 watts.
    Anyways, to update everyone, I went to the Asus online support page and
    described my problem there. If I can't get the problem resolved that way I
    will follow up with a phone call.

    ftran999, May 15, 2004