[NEWS] Apple releases updated iMac models

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Your Name, Sep 24, 2013.

  1. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    From MacRumors.com ...

    Apple Updates iMac with Haswell and Faster PCIe Flash Storage
    In something of a surprise move, Apple today announced the
    launch of updated iMacs based on Intel's Haswell processors,
    faster PCI Express-based flash storage options, and 802.11ac
    Wi-Fi.

    "iMac continues to be the example that proves how beautiful,
    fast and fun a desktop computer can be," said Philip Schiller,
    Apple¹s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Inside
    its ultra-thin aluminum enclosure, the new iMac has the
    latest Intel processors, faster graphics, next generation
    802.11ac Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage."

    New models include:

    21.5-inch
    - $1299: 2.7 GHz quad-core i5 and Intel Iris Pro graphics
    - $1499: 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel i5 and NVIDIA GeForce GT
    750M with 1 GB video memory

    27-inch
    - $1799: 3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 and NVIDIA
    GeForce GT 755M with 1 GB video memory
    - $1999: 3.4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 and NVIDIA
    GeForce GTX 775M with 2 GB video memory

    All standard configurations come with 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB
    traditional hard drive.

    Build-to-order options include a 3.1 GHz Core i7 processor
    and 16 GB of RAM on the 21.5-inch model and a 3.5 GHz Core
    i7 processor and up to 32 GB of RAM on the 27-inch model.
    Storage options of up to 3 TB traditional hard drive, 3 TB
    Fusion Drive, and 1 TB flash storage are also available
    depending on model. The high-end 27-inch model also has an
    available graphics upgrade to NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 780M with
    4GB of GDDR5 memory.

    The new iMac is available today through Apple's online store
    with all standard configurations with the exception of the
    high-end 21.5-inch model showing availability of "within 24
    hours". The high-end 21.5-inch model is currently showing a
    shipping estimate of 2-3 weeks.

    Your Name, Sep 24, 2013

  2. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thanks for that!

    Given that they did not increase the memory speed I just placed my order
    for the late 2012 model (refurbished) for the

    i7 3.4 GHz
    8 GB - I'll order another 16 GB immediately
    1 TB Fusion
    680MX (2 GB)

    Mezei:
    Know anyone looking for a late 2007 iMac? (Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz / 6 GB RAM
    / 2 TB HD in excellent condition).

    --
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media,

    Alan Browne, Sep 24, 2013

  3. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    Bloody hell, That's a fantastic machine.

    Lewis, Sep 25, 2013
  4. Your Name

    Fred Moore Guest

    I might be, Alan. How much you want for it? Any idea how much shipping
    to the States (MidWest) might be?

    Fred Moore, Sep 25, 2013
  5. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    Check your e-mail Fred (I sent to the e-mail address you use for usenet
    posts).

    Alan Browne, Sep 25, 2013
  6. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    21.5", no HT, notebook graphic processor.

    Not bad for the price, but not 'fantastic'.

    Alan Browne, Sep 25, 2013
  7. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    Hi Fred - did you get my e-mail?

    Alan Browne, Sep 26, 2013
  8. Anybody else notice the lowest-end model uses integrated graphics? A
    desktop without a graphics card- now that's something.

    Michael Savich, Sep 28, 2013
  9. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    And the others use "laptop" level graphics. The intel graphics are
    quite decent - esp. for a lower end Mac that's not going to be used much
    for graphics.

    Even the i7 / 3.4 GHz iMac (2012) with the 2 GB memory has a "laptop"
    grade graphics processor in it (Geforce GTX 680MX). 16 lane PCIe to
    pump the data in. I don't think the 2013 v. is much better.

    Alan Browne, Sep 28, 2013
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In many ways iMacs are basically just vertical laptops due to the
    limited space.

    The new Mac Pro will have similar problems since it can no longer fit a
    full size PCI-style card. At best it will require custom-made garphics
    cards or a separate Thunderbolt connected add-on box with PCI slots
    (which you can already buy).

    Your Name, Sep 28, 2013
  11. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    Silly ass Johnny Ive again.

    Really NO need at all for the slimness of the latest iMacs (late 2012) -
    or for that matter since the first intel iMacs.
    Look at the Mac Pro breakout on the Apple site. The graphics chips
    (which are very high end) are custom mounted (by Apple I assume).

    If you bought PCI boards for those chips you would pay $3000. Each.

    Alan Browne, Sep 28, 2013
  12. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Technically the latest iMac design isn't really much, if any, slimmer
    than the previous one. It is only at the edges that it appears to be
    slimmer, which is rather pointless. It still takes up just as much
    depth, so still needs to be just as far away from the wall or whatever
    behind it.

    No doubt part of the reason for removing the optical drive (as well as
    pushing usesr to cloud-based software installing) could well have been
    to avoid the whole "why not a Blu-ray drive" issue yet again.

    True, it doesn't have a "laptop grade graphics processor". I left a
    word out there - it should have said the new Mac Pro having similar
    *upgrade* problems to the iMac.

    Your Name, Sep 29, 2013
  13. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    You can upgrade the memory. That's about it. Would appear that any
    further upgrades would be outside (storage, perhaps audio front ends).

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2013
  14. Your Name

    Bread Guest

    Argh! Don't make me agree with you! But I do. I generally like a lot
    of what he brings to design - clean lines, simplicity, etc.

    But I think he's gone over the top with the 2012 iMac. In fact, when
    they came out, I immediately got myself a great deal on a factory
    refurb late 2011 iMac (under $1000).

    I think the 2011 was just about the perfect compromise - the DVD (which
    I am *not* ready to give up - I use mine all the time) and the SD slot
    are easily accessible but not noticable nor ugly. The various other
    connectors - USB, FW, TB -- I don't plug and unplug many of those very
    frequently, so having them in the back doesn't bother me. If I needed
    to plug and unplug more often, I'd really like to have one either
    front- or side- mounted, but there are ways to get that functionality
    easily enough. Meanwhile, it's still got a relatively easily (not
    easily enough, IMO) hard drive (also glossing over the issue of the
    custom controller/temperature issue), and very easily accessible memory.

    The 2012 did away with a *lot*, starting with the DVD, but going down
    the road to making the screen attach in such a way that opening the
    machine up is a very bad idea, and making the RAM and HD pretty
    completely inaccessible. Admittedly, I rarely change the RAM (but I'm
    very glad I was able to add market-priced RAM to my 2011), but I
    swapped out the HD on my previous iMac at least 4 or 5 times due either
    to failures or to replacing with larger or faster drives.

    They've really made it about as un-maintain/upgradable as the
    MacBookAir now. I don't think this is an improvement.

    The only thing I miss on my 2011 versus the 2012 and 2013 is USB3. The
    incremental improvement in CPU speed is not huge (the newest may be
    1.3x as fast as mine?), meanwhile, should I be interested in doing so,
    I can easily stick a very reasonably priced standard model SSD into my
    2011 and that would probably make every day activities on the thing
    seem blazingly fast.

    I do like that the 2012 is lighter and runs cooler. But I don't think
    the tradeoffs, overall, were worth it. I really love my 2011. In
    fact, I have two 2011s (I'd bought one for my office about 6 months
    before the 2012s were released, in addition to the one I got just after
    the 2012s were released - I'd been waiting to see what they did and
    when I saw, it was an easy choice.)

    Bread, Sep 29, 2013
  15. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    I use an ASUS external drive though I need to plug it into 2 USB ports
    to get enough juice to run it. I don't use SD but putting it where it
    is for the sake of Johnny Ive in the Reality Distortion Field comfort is
    actually very poor design putting form way beyond function.

    He needs a good slap in the face, frankly.

    I have cheapish USB hub from which I have open lines running out to my
    camera CF card reader, GPS recorder, keyboard receiver (Logitech) and
    iPhone. Sometimes when the iPhone is attached it will crash other USB
    devices (esp. the keyboard) - or rather that was on the old iMac -
    haven't seen it happen yet on this one.
    On the 27" the RAM is VERY accessible - there's a hatch on the back with
    a release inside the power socket (nice touch). You pop it open, change
    the RAM around as required and snap it all together again.

    The HD requires removing the front (glued on) and digging out, board by
    board. Then of course you have to glue it all back in place in the end
    - i FixIt (etc) have the teardowns online.
    Just once on my 2007 iMac.

    Should do the job.
    The delta between the late 2012 and late 2013 is estimated to be a mere
    3% faster (i7) on average (some things are a little quicker), so getting
    the refurbed late 2012 is a good deal - and the delta more than pays for
    the memory I ordered (additional 16 GB) I'll be at 24 GB or 4x more RAM
    than my prior iMac.

    Alan Browne, Sep 29, 2013
  16. Your Name

    JF Mezei Guest

    He's not gonna get one. When Cook fired Forstall, Ive was basically made
    Jobs V2.0 (aka God).

    I doubt anyone within Apple has the guts to criticise Jony Ive at this
    point in time.

    With regards to Imac, I suspect Ive may have provided a solution to
    Cook, but Cook ruled that additional manufacturing costs to make SD card
    slot accessible not worth it. So it went in the back, directly connected
    to the motherboard.

    When you look at the new MacPro, the initial feeling may be "it's a
    closed architecture like iMac, not expandable for the sake of letting
    Ive go nuts on design" and scaring professionals away from it.

    BUT, once you remove emotion, what if the new MacPro has everything you
    need inside which greatly reduces the chances you ever need to add to it ?

    JF Mezei, Sep 30, 2013
  17. Your Name

    Alan Browne Guest

    I wouldn't go that far. Seeing Ive in the last video touting the 5S he
    looked and sounded stoned. I'm not suggesting he was on drugs, mind
    you, but rather that he seems physiologically incompatible with the RDF
    generator.
    The solution was to make the bezel thicker and stick the SD slot there.
    Oh No! That would be form following function. It's not pretty!
    That would depend on the needs of the user. The new Mac Pro doesn't
    have _ANY_ means to add specialized boards for any purpose. So unless
    such needs appear in 3rd party devices to do those functions the new Mac
    Pro is just a super-Mac in a large can.

    As to design it is great - for anyone who needs a massively powerful
    computer on their desk and will be putting large storage in expensive
    boxed somewhere nearby.

    Alan Browne, Sep 30, 2013
  19. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Unfortunately that's true, and it's looking more and more like it has
    gone to his head. :-(

    The card slot is likely to be the next thing to be removed. Few people
    use fiddle about with the silly little cards - they simply plug the
    camera in via a USB cable, or these days more cameras are coming with
    wireless connection capabilities.

    The Mac Pro was meant to be for professionals and they're more likely
    to want to upgrade video cards, add PCI cards, extra drives, etc. which
    they will now have to do via an external Thunderbolt box, at best.

    This image was created by someone showing the current aluminium Mac Pro
    and the new tub Mac Pro with the same added extras.
    <http://www.giga.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mac-Pro_2013_Mac-Pro_2013.
    jpg>

    Your Name, Sep 30, 2013
  20. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    It's similar to this old image comparing an iMac to a Dell PC where
    both have the same level of equipment (webcam, etc.). :)

    Your Name, Sep 30, 2013