    newsreader, but I can change that.

    Bill
    -- Ferme le Bush

    Salmon Egg, May 15, 2006

  2. Salmon Egg

    M-M Guest

    Use MT-Newswatcher. You can even download from different servers at the
    same time.

    m-m

    M-M, May 16, 2006

  3. But the limit is probably on the SBC server. They're limiting the
    number of connections to 3. If you purchase service from another news
    provider, you can have more connections. I use Giganews, but there are
    others.

    Michael Vilain, May 16, 2006
  4. Salmon Egg

    Jon Guest

    news.individual.net in Germany is excellent. 10 ¤ a year (12-13 $?),
    great speed, no ads. No binaries, though.

    Jon, May 16, 2006
  5. However, I think they limit you to four connections at a time

    Ralph E Lindberg, May 18, 2006
  6. Salmon Egg

    Jon Guest

    I don't know what that means in practical terms. I use MacSOUP and
    subscribe to some ten newsgroups, and I have never been stopped in up-
    or downloading articles in the hundreds by any such message as that.

    Does that tell you anything? (Straight question, no irony intended.)

    Jon, May 18, 2006
  7. Essentially, some news readers allow for SIMULTANEOUS connections to the
    news server where the articles are stored. I use MT Newswatcher which
    has this feature but since I don't click on multiple groups to download
    very often, I don't hit the 4 connection limit that Giganews imposes on
    my account. I don't have any restriction on the number of articles
    downloaded _SERIALLY_ within one connection so long as I don't go over
    my monthly transfer quota (25GB).

    Think of it as having multiple phone lines and the ability to use all of
    them at once. The number of incoming calls depends on the number of
    "trunk lines" feeding into the switchboard in front of you. A weak
    analogy.

    Michael Vilain, May 18, 2006
  8. Salmon Egg

    Jon Guest