    what newsreader for OS X will be able to open this message?

    The apps I looked at have no mechanism for pasting in this link.

    Thanks.

    Sparky, Dec 16, 2009

  2. Indeed.
    I can confirm that Thunderbird does not handle such URLs, (and I'm on
    the same provider as Tom), but my experience is that such references are
    few and far between, and my desire to go to a message so linked averages
    just above 0. Do you run across such frequently?

    John McWilliams, Dec 16, 2009

  3. Sparky

    Jean Smith Guest

    That group does not exist.

    Jean Smith, Dec 16, 2009
  4. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Do you run across such frequently?

    No. But when I do it's frustrating to not be able to retrieve that bit of
    information.

    It's not often enough to change my newsreader app to MTNW but it's nice to
    have another tool for this.

    Thanks.

    Sparky, Dec 16, 2009
  5. It's not a real message ID, just an example of the URL scheme. Notice
    that the letters are the entire alphabet in order, and there's no @.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 16, 2009
  6. Sparky

    Jean Smith Guest

    Does my newsreader's complaint mean it would have worked if the URL had been
    real?

    Jean Smith, Dec 17, 2009
  7. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Unison will also handle it.

    I downloaded Unison 1.8.1.

    How do I enter a message ID URL (ie, "and view the
    message?

    It's not obvious... :)

    Thanks.

    Sparky, Dec 19, 2009
  8. Sparky

    Tim Murray Guest

    The browser iCab can do it, if you tell it Unison is your newsreader. Just
    enter (for example)
    into the
    address bar and press Enter. I have an account at Motzarella, whose server is
    eternal-september.org.

    Tim Murray, Dec 20, 2009
  9. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    The browser iCab can do it, if you tell it Unison is your newsreader. Just
    [...]
    Tim Murray

    Your example URL works. But mine doesn't.

    The message I'm trying to access has a format of
    "news:[blahblahblah]@4ax.com". Shouldn't this work? Or do I have to have an
    account at 4ax.com in order to retrieve this message?

    Thanks.

    Sparky, Dec 20, 2009
  10. Sparky

    Tim Murray Guest

    I'm going to guess yes, you need an account.

    Tim Murray, Dec 20, 2009
  11. No. 4ax.com is where the message came from, but you should be
    downloading the message from your own NNTP server.

    It could fail if your NNTP server is missing that message.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 20, 2009
  12. Or if your news client doesn't do ID's. Thunderbird doesn't seem to do
    them- at least not my version 2.xxxxx on Snow Leopard.

    With the advent of Deja News up through much of Google, messages can be
    found pretty quickly via search on web, and there's less need to refer
    to an old message via a usenet URL- also as most internet connections
    are way faster than they used to be, there's less of a need to access a
    message in the news feed, concurrent with some news providers keeping a
    shorter retention date.

    <> test to a real
    message.
    <hgheob$mlo$-september.org> another test link to a real
    message on my server.

    John McWilliams, Dec 20, 2009
  13. Sparky

    Jean Smith Guest

    But it's just a message ID for an article posted through AT&T IIRC.
    It shoul be on any server unless it has expired. Google might have it then.

    Jean Smith, Dec 20, 2009
  14. But he said that one ID worked, but another didn't. If the news client
    doesn't do IDs, neither of them would work.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 21, 2009
  15. Sparky

    Bubbamike_01 Guest

    No he doesn't. 4ax.com is the default that Forte Agent uses for
    message IDs. See my message header. So this message was posted with
    Forte Agent. Why it won't open for you I have no idea.

    Bubbamike_01, Dec 23, 2009