Next-Gen Nintendo DS Handheld GPU Contract Apparently Won By NVIDIA-- Will be Tegra-powered in 2010

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by parallax-scroll, Oct 15, 2009.

  1. http://www.edge-online.com/news/next-gen-ds-planned-for-late-2010-–-report
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...a-wins-contract-for-next-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/173655/nintendo_crowns_nvidia_chipset_for_nextgen_ds_handheld.html/
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/103/1035319p1.html
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/33055/New-Nintendo-DS-powered-by-Nvidia

    I must admit, I'm surprised. I was expecting that AMD / ATI would've
    won,
    that it would've been based on the AMD / ATI Hollywood GPU in the
    Wii,
    which itself is a faster version of the Flipper GPU designed by ArtX
    during 1998-1999
    for the GameCube. (just before ATI bought ArtX).
    I'd have thought the original ArtX architecture, made faster by AMD /
    ATI,
    would've been perfect for the next-gen DS. The ArtX-designed Flipper
    is
    vastly superior to the PS1/N64- level graphics of the current DS / DS
    lite and faster DSi.

    If it happens (Tegra in the new DS) this will mark the first time an
    Nvidia chip
    is put into a released Nintendo product.

    parallax-scroll, Oct 15, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    Steven9DS Guest

    this is indeed interesting