NF4-A939 won't shutdown/reboot

Discussion in 'ECS' started by khobar, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. khobar

    khobar Guest

    I'm trying to figure out why my system won't shut down or reboot. System is
    an ECS NF4-A939 with an Athlon X2 3800+, 1GB dual-channel DDR400, mix of
    PATA drives and 1 SATA drive, ATi X550 PCIe, Win2KPro SP4.

    Basically when I want to shut down or restart the system does its normal
    "Shutting down Windows", etc. then I get dual black screens. I then have to
    hit "reset" and it boots fine.

    I've tried moving the RAM around and tried it in single channel mode. I've
    defragged the drive and cleaned it up. No problems reported, etc. I get no
    error messages.

    System screens blank out after 15 mins of inactivity and come right back
    when I touch the mouse.

    I've tried installing Cool 'N Quiet but to no avail. System idle temp is
    about 42C and maxload temp is 58C using stock fan with Arctic Silver paste.
    I replaced the 70mm 3400RPM stock fan with an 80mm 5500RPM fan - makes a lot
    more noise now and does keep it slightly cooler while I'm rendering.
    Otherwise, no difference.

    Power supply is a 580W with a 20-pin connector. I have a new ps on order
    that might get here Saturday. I'm experiencing lockups that I've been trying
    to trace down - they happen when running Studio 9.4 and Firefox with a
    javascript window open/running. However, the shutdown/restart problem seems
    to be a glitch with a driver or a file or something like that is my guess. I
    tried the console repair/auto/fast and it didn't seem to do anything.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,

    Paul Nixon

    khobar, Dec 2, 2005

  2. khobar

    khobar Guest

    Problem solved re: shutdown/reboot. Must have been something in the CMOS
    settings 'cause I clicked on load defaults or optimized or something and
    it's working now. Doh...

    Paul Nixon

    khobar, Dec 3, 2005