    controller. I also know that the NF7-S is capable of running @ 400Mhz FSB
    with the 2.0 version.....are the FSB specs the same for the NF7?

    TIA

    The Tweakoholic, Jan 27, 2004

  2. The Tweakoholic

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hello:
    |
    | I'm considering buying either the NF7 or NF7-S board. What's the
    difference
    | between these boards? I know that the -S means that it has a Serail drive
    | controller. I also know that the NF7-S is capable of running @ 400Mhz FSB
    | with the 2.0 version.....are the FSB specs the same for the NF7?
    |
    | TIA

    Hi Tweakoholic -

    NF7 v2.0 is also capable of running @ 400 MHz FSB with no overclocking.
    V1.x of both boards can generally be overclocked to 400 MHz FSB (depending
    on your memory, cooling, processor, power supply, etc.).

    The differences, as you've learned, include the SATA controller on the
    NF7-S. The NF7-S also includes on-board firewire and the MCP2-T chip
    supporting SoundStorm audio.

    The NF7 has the MCP2 chip, supporting Realtek audio. The SoundStorm audio
    is significantly superior.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Jan 27, 2004

  3. The Tweakoholic

    Larry Gagnon Guest

    Try reading the info at Abit's website and get it from the horse's
    mouth.

    Larry Gagnon

    Larry Gagnon, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Thanks for the info. Jef. Looks like I'll be getting the NF7-S.

    The Tweakoholic, Jan 27, 2004
  5. The Tweakoholic

    Per Nielsen Guest

    Which is better soundwise? NF7-S SoundStorm or my Creative Sound Blaster
    Live! Value (not Audigy)?

    Per Nielsen, Jan 27, 2004
  6. The Tweakoholic

    Jef Norton Guest

    Per Nielsen wrote:

    | Which is better soundwise? NF7-S SoundStorm or my Creative Sound Blaster
    | Live! Value (not Audigy)?

    I'd rate the SoundStorm better quality.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Jan 28, 2004

  7. Hi,
    amazing but true! Onboard audio has come of age as of the ALC650:
    http://tinyurl.com/jzo5

    But I still don't get the *exact* difference between the NF7 and NF7-S sound
    capabilities? I mean what exactly is *Soundstorm*? Is it marketing jargon
    or an actual piece of hardware? I know that Soundstorm can *decode*
    Dolby-digital 5:1 whereas the NF7 audio cannot, but that's all the
    difference I know about.

    Do you get the *NVIDIA nForce Control Panel* with the NF7?

    I also just found out the newer AN7 uses the *newer* ALC658 soundchip
    http://tinyurl.com/32xp6 , as far as I can see this adds an *Optical-In* as
    well as out, not sure about other changes yet. . .

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 28, 2004
  8. The Tweakoholic

    Jef Norton Guest

    Wayne Youngman wrote:

    | Hi,
    | amazing but true! Onboard audio has come of age as of the ALC650:
    | http://tinyurl.com/jzo5
    |
    | But I still don't get the *exact* difference between the NF7 and NF7-S
    sound
    | capabilities? I mean what exactly is *Soundstorm*? Is it marketing jargon
    | or an actual piece of hardware? I know that Soundstorm can *decode*
    | Dolby-digital 5:1 whereas the NF7 audio cannot, but that's all the
    | difference I know about.
    |
    | Do you get the *NVIDIA nForce Control Panel* with the NF7?
    |
    | I also just found out the newer AN7 uses the *newer* ALC658 soundchip
    | http://tinyurl.com/32xp6 , as far as I can see this adds an *Optical-In*
    as
    | well as out, not sure about other changes yet. . .
    | --
    | Wayne ][

    Hi Wayne -

    NF7 and NF7-M have the MCP2 Southbridge. NF7-S has the MCP2-T Southbridge.
    The MCP2-T "supports real-time AC-3 encoding by SoundStorm" via hardware
    (from the manual page 2-2). The MCP2 supports AC-3 encoding via software.

    The nForce Control Panel does not install for the NF7 and the NF7-M. The
    Realtek ALC650 driver package is necessary to obtain a control panel (which
    is not included on the Abit CD).

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Jan 28, 2004
  9. The Tweakoholic

    Per Nielsen Guest

    Thx, just what I wanted to hear :).

    Per Nielsen, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Shouldn't that be "decoding"?

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Jan 28, 2004
  11. The Tweakoholic

    Jef Norton Guest

    "Jens C. Hansen [Odense]" <"[usenet]±[greylion]=[dk]"> wrote in message
    | Jef Norton wrote:
    | >
    | > The MCP2-T "supports real-time AC-3 encoding by SoundStorm" via hardware
    | > (from the manual page 2-2). The MCP2 supports AC-3 encoding via
    software.

    | Shouldn't that be "decoding"?

    That's why I quoted my source. It seems even Abit doesn't know the
    difference.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Jan 28, 2004
  12. The Tweakoholic

    SDR Guest

    Would you rate SoundStorm better than Creative 5.1 Live?

    SDR, Feb 4, 2004
  13. The Tweakoholic

    John Russell Guest

    Audio is subjective and also how critical you are of EAX effects in games.
    EAX was created by Creative and their cards continue to sound better
    creating EAX effects.

    Ok how many more times could I get the word "create" and it's derivitatives
    into a sentence?

    John Russell, Feb 5, 2004