NF7 BIOS Terrorism & WinXP BSOD

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Damaeus, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    The BIOS update from 19 to 27 was successful, but not without a major
    scare. I used the FlashMenu utility to download and update because I
    couldn't see the sticker telling me for sure which NF7 I have, Version 1.0,
    1.2, or 2.0. So apparently I have 2.0 since all the BIOS updates available
    were for that version.

    I clicked to update everything then went through a reboot. After the
    reboot, the default settings took effect in the BIOS. I hit DELETE to get
    in there to set my CPU speed and all. Much to my shock, the only two
    settings for the CPU speed were User Defined and "2400+". I wasn't 100%
    sure what settings to use for User Defined, so I left it at the 2400+
    setting. I saved and rebooted. I got some unfamiliar screens about not
    powering off while the BIOS was saving the settings. I got another reboot,
    but a black screen. "Great," I thought. "I've fucked up my motherboard
    and I'll have to spend the money I'm saving to get my heater fixed in the
    car to buy another fucking board." Yes, I'd rather have a working computer
    in my car and freeze my nuts off on the 36.5-mile trip home from work every
    night than stay toasty warm.

    So I tried rebooting again. Still a black screen.

    I started feeling nauseous.

    I opened the side of the case and cleared the CMOS and booted again. This
    time I got the familiar POST and another opportunity to go into setup. I
    went into setup again and this time found all the familiar settings for my
    CPU. I set that one setting to 1333, saved and reboot to finally get back
    into Windows to post this message.

    I don't know if that User Defined / 2400+ setting availability was normal
    or not, but it certainly wasn't something I was expecting. I normally
    don't update the BIOS, but my WinXP has been giving me regular BSOD crashes
    without information about which application or file is causing it. I've
    been tracking what I'm doing when the crash occurs, but so far I've had no
    luck in finding a pattern. This is a fresh install of WinXP Home, too, and
    I use all the same software I normally use, including the same video driver
    for a GeForce FX 5600XT (which doesn't get nearly enough use, BTW), and the
    same everything. I never had a BSOD in my last installation of XP, and the
    BSOD persists in this one. It's very strange. The only difference between
    this time and last is that since I was reinstalling, I decided to put XP on
    a newer hard drive with more capacity. I had XP on an old 30-gig drive in
    an 8-gig partition and found that wasn't enough space, so I moved it to a
    newer 80-gig drive on a 20-gig partition. While that's plenty of space,
    that's when I started having problems. But other than BSOD, I've had no
    data errors, no corrupt files, and no glitches at all that I'm aware of on
    this new drive that I had been using as a slave for about a year.

    I haven't been up and running with the new BIOS long enough to discover
    whether or not that fixed the problem.

    Anybody else been experiencing BSOD with WinXP Home SP1 or SP2 or an SP1
    after uninstalling SP2?

    Damaeus

    Damaeus, Dec 4, 2004

  2. It could well be on the side of the bottom PCI slot, so a dentist's mirror
    or motherboard removal may be the only way to tell for certain.
    Whoa, what about clearing the CMOS?
    Gee, if I could play the violin, I'd play you a lament. Really.
    Lol, you may as well quit this because if it's humour you're attempting,
    it's not working, and it's definitely missed its mark if you're attempting
    to garner sympathy.
    One hopes this feeling will prevent you making the same elementary mistake
    in future - as well as making sure you advise others to do the job properly.
    Finally. You should have done this immediately after flashing the BIOS.
    Doing so, while costing you a couple of minutes, would have saved all that
    anguish. The CMOS should be cleared after any and every BIOS flash, no
    exceptions.
    Why not? If you do it properly (i.e. clear the CMOS each time), there's no
    reason why this process should cause problems.
    Have you checked the logs in Management Console, or indeed looked for a dump
    file?
    Did you physically swap the hard disk connections inside the case to promote
    the larger one to primary master? If you did, is it possible you knocked
    something while you were in there - maybe a memory stick not quite as fully
    engaged in its slot as it should be?

    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    In "Richard Hopkins"
    In my car? No, I don't have a computer in my car. My brain must have
    misfired on that statement. I meant I'd rather have a working computer
    than a heater in my car.
    Well, there's an option on the FlashMenu program to clear the CMOS. I
    checked it to clear, but apparently that didn't do the trick.
    Well, I might start updating the BIOS regularly now. I used to refrain
    from it because we tend to have regular power outages lasting anywhere from
    1 second to 5 seconds, and they seem to hit at the most inconvenient times.
    Fortunately I've got a battery backup now, both to protect the electronics
    and prevent data loss during a power failure.
    Yes. I have one saved. I just need to read through it when I have the
    time. So far, though, I've had no BSOD's since the BIOS update.
    Yes, I removed the hard drive chassis and physically swapped the drives
    around so I could position them properly on the ribbon cable without
    twisting it around.

    Damaeus, Dec 7, 2004