    I ordered another board from NewEgg, but is there anything that I can do
    with this board?

    Thanks.

    javajeff, Mar 24, 2005

  2. javajeff

    JefN Guest

    | What can I do now? The machine will not even post. I used the Windows
    | Abit software to update the bios, and upon reboot, black screen. I
    | tried clearing the cmos with the jumper, and that did nothing.
    |
    | I ordered another board from NewEgg, but is there anything that I can do
    | with this board?
    |
    | Thanks.

    Hi javajeff -

    What revision is your board?

    If you don't know your board's revision open up your system and look for the
    white barcode sticker.

    Revision 1.0 - 1.2 of the NF7 / NF7-M /NF7-S boards use one group of BIOS' -
    the latest being NF7_28.BIN.

    Revision 2.0 of the NF7 / NF7-S boards use another - the latest being
    NF7D_27.BIN.

    If you flashed a BIOS version for the wrong revision board you are toast.
    Unfortunately you need a reflash, hotflash or a new BIOS chip.

    See about half way down my page on recovering from the Abit BootBlock BIOS
    for a discussion on sources of replacement chips and hotflashing:
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html

    Unfortunately Windows-based Flashmenu and DOS-based Awdflash will permit you
    to flash a BIOS for the wrong revision board.

    Jef

    JefN, Mar 24, 2005

  3. javajeff

    Bill Guest

    Why not just order the a bios chip with the latest bios on it from Abit?

    http://www.abit-usa.com/abitparts/bios_chip.php

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 25, 2005
  4. javajeff

    javajeff Guest

    Thanks for the link. Any idea how long it takes to receive one of those
    chips?

    javajeff, Mar 25, 2005
  5. javajeff

    javajeff Guest

    Nice informative site. It is nice to have options, and I have not
    decided what to do with this board.

    javajeff, Mar 25, 2005
  6. javajeff

    Bill Guest

    How much you want to pay for shipping? I've seen UPS take 2 weeks to send something
    by ground shipment across country. You want quick; pay the higher shipping rates. If
    there's no rush; go ground.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Easy to fix.

    Since you have a new board coming (let me assume they are exactly the
    same version board as Jef commented)

    Buy one more trinket: a BIOS savior. This trinket, installed between
    your new motherboard and it's good bios chip will enable you to load the
    BIOS savior with the good BIOS; then power down, remove the good BIOS
    chip, install the bad BIOS chip, power up, and load the BIOS chip from
    the savior. Power down again and put the re-flashed chip in the bad
    board, It should thenceforth be good.

    Comments, group-folks?

    Brian Brunner, Mar 25, 2005
  8. javajeff

    javajeff Guest

    The boards are not identical, but close. I have an NF7-S2G coming from
    Newegg. The old board is a plain NF7.

    javajeff, Mar 25, 2005