    I'm planning on building someone a board based on the NF7-M and was
    wondering if it officially supports the 400 mhz FSB. From what I have
    seen the latest rev is 1.21, is this true?

    Dan Amborn, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Dan Amborn

    JK Guest

    The model NF7-M does not use nvidia400 chipset, but an older one with
    IGP. You won't find any IGP nforce2 boards that supports more than
    fsb333 cpu's officially. But the NF7-M can do it !

    Read this:

    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cpu_mobo/abit/amd/nf7m/p2.shtml

    Latest bios 1.6 is a must.

    Maybe an fsb400 cpu is not any good idea, since it might not even boot
    automatically for you. But one can buy a 2400+ or 2500+ and gradually
    shoot after fsb200 on the motherboard.

    Use a good brand of pc3200 ram, at least.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Dan Amborn

    Morgan Guest

    Looking at the NF7 series you can see 'official' 400mhz support....

    The NF7 series models, based on nForce2 chipset, supports the latest AMD
    Athlon XP processors with 200/266/333/400 FSB
    http://tinyurl.com/m2st

    For the NF7-M there is no such indication....

    The NF7 series models, based on nForce2 chipset, supports the latest AMD
    Athlon XP processors with 200/266/333 FSB
    http://tinyurl.com/m2sv

    I seem to remember some time ago, but can't find the link, that there was a
    statement from Abit, whilst the latest revision was the 1.2 NF7-S board,
    that all of there NF7 range would be compatible with the 400mhz FSB through
    Bios updates. Whether that continues to apply today and specifically to the
    'M' type I do not know.

    Could you not look at the NF7 board and get yourself a cheap graphics card,
    if it is within your budget - as the graphics performance of the NF7-M is
    quite poor anyway..? I have also read of issues with that particular board
    and the memory that you choose to use, not enough to state there is a
    definite problem with that board and brand xxx but enough to see that it can
    come up quite often in some forums.

    Morgan, Sep 3, 2003
  4. My pal has the NF7-M and runs it at 200fsb no probs, with video disabled of
    course. He's using Twinmos pc3200 ram.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Dan Amborn

    Dan Amborn Guest

    Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the NF7-M used a different
    chipset. I thought it just had a addon video chip on the board. I
    don't normally look too close at integrated solutions for my own
    systems. I'm putting this together for someone who is on a tight
    short term budget. I am going to be picking up a 512 meg stick
    Corsair XMS 3200 memory. I have had good luck with Corsair on my
    boards.

    Dan Amborn, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Dan Amborn

    Dan Amborn Guest

    I guess a solid 333mhz FSB should be fine for him. I will try to hit
    400 mhz with overclocking though. I would go for the NF7 board but
    the onboard video of the NF7-M is hard to beat expecially since he
    won't be doing much gaming (or so he says now). At least the NF7-M
    has a real AGP slot if he decides to upgrade later. I have two NF7-S
    boards of my own but since it's not going to be my PC and he's on a
    budget I think I will order the NF7-M with a Thoroughbred XP1800+ and
    Crucial XMS3200 ram.

    Dan Amborn, Sep 5, 2003
  7. I would advise against the NF7-M as the graphics are abysmal. You would be
    better with the standard NF7 and buying an addon card to meet your
    requirements.Also it overclocks better with onboard vga disabled.

    --
    Lester Piglet

    Lester Piglet, Sep 5, 2003